Rescue Horse. Lavinia / Dr. Kellon can you tell us your opinion on these x-rays and blood work/meds?

Hello everyone. I have just updated Condado’s X-rays and blood work. He is a 11yo PRE stallion. He was shoed last Tuesday but we are waiting to move him to our facilities to take the correct pictures for the next trim.

Dr. Kellon can you tell me your opinion on the X-rays and blood work? (He was eating beet pulp, alfalfa, wheat and oats -no forage- before we met him. Now he has been eating ad-lib meadow hay and the correct intake of salt for one week. Blood work taken this Tuesday.)

Also, the vet has prescribed him ASPIRINE, GABAPENTIN and HEMOVAS. What do you think Dr. Kellon?

Lavinia what do you think about the X-rays?

He is in a good mood, eating, and moving better after the farrier.

Thank you for your time.
--
Paola R. Monagas

Canary Islands, Gran Canaria, Spain
September 2021

He has been starved and his feet neglected for a long time but there is no reason to think a young stallion would have metabolic/hormonal issues. To know for sure you need to test insulin and ACTH.

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Paola,

Are there new radiographs available? All I see in the album are the ones from before. If there were new ones done, were they done after the trim or before? Is it possible to get even a few pictures of what his feet look like now?

Sorry, more questions than answers.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

Hello Lavinia. The xrays are recent, the RF one was taken last Tuesday before the trim. No xrays available after the trim sadly… Vet didn’t think it was necessary.

We are waiting to move him to our facilities to take pictures of his feet now. I have some but not in the right angles.

I worry there might be an infection/osteomyelitis. Vet didn’t tell us anything about that but I would like to hear other opinions…

Thank you so much.
--

On Fri, Sep 10, 2021 at 08:35 PM, Eleanor Kellon, VMD wrote:
He has been starved and his feet neglected for a long time but there is no reason to think a young stallion would have metabolic/hormonal issues. To know for sure you need to test insulin and ACTH.

Hello Dr. Kellon. Thank you for your answer.
We’ll test for insulin and ACTH next Monday. I will come back once we get the results.

--
Paola R. Monagas

Canary Islands, Gran Canaria, Spain
September 2021

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Paola,

There is definitely bone loss but the rads that were done weren't the best so makes it difficult to assess how much. If possible, getting a new set now that the trim has been worked on would be very helpful. Hopefully, the trim addressed the huge laminar wedge and was able to make headway on the bony column rotation as well.

This poor boy is lucky to have landed in your hands.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

Maria Duran

Hello Lavinia and Dr. Kellon,

Thank you very much for your help.

As Paola has already said, he is going to be tested for IR/PPID, he is in an IR diet by now just in case. Eating well. Paola will upload the results as soon as they are ready.

Could you please comment on the current treatment with aspirin, gabapentin and hemovas please?. Jiaogulan has been ordered and will arrive in 3 weeks or so.

I know the X rays are aweful, but I am worried about the huge radiolucent area of the RF under the coffin bone if you can comment on it too. Condado has improved a lot after the trim and is resting in a much better posture. The huge laminar wedge has been removed, but it looks like the heels are a bit high. Paola will upload pics soon.

Dr. Kellon I don´t know if you can see the blood work, could you comment on it please?

Just trying to make sure he has a chance and there is no infection in the bone or something alike.

Thank you very much.

--
María Durán Navarro
Dec 2017

Plutón´s Case History
Plutón´s Photo Album
_._,_._,_

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

We need links.

Kirsten Rasmussen

Hi Paola,

If you could add this link for your photo album with bloodwork to your signature it would help everyone out:

Here is how:

1) Go to this link to amend your auto-signature: https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/editsub

2) Copy and paste your photo album link below your name, general location, and year of joining.  Add a space after your link or hit enter on your keyboard to turn it blue and make it live.

3) IMPORTANT: Scroll to the bottom and hit SAVE!

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR + PPID) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History