Retesting ACTH

Thurstonjs@...

Hi all,

Rose started Prascend around 9/26, 1/4 tab for 4 days, then 1/2 tab daily. After a couple of weeks, I could see some positive changes, less drinking water and urinating. I started soaking all of her hay except some dry handfuls here and there. Still no grass. Her water drinking intake is ok, but I think she is getting a lot from her soaked hay.

I've noticed in the last few days her urinating has increased - maybe from the water in the hay? Our temps went up making her sweat more, but certainly not as bad as before she started Prascend. Her demeanor seems cranky again. And though I've been soaking her hay, I feel her crest might be getting thicker. Not hard though. I haven't added anything to her diet. Yesterday she seemed really anxious about her food. Could her anxieties/stress cause changes to ACTH levels?

She is scheduled at the end of December for retesting but I feel she should be tested again sooner. Is it too soon to retest?

Thank you.
--
Jackie Thurston
Suffolk, VA 2021

How much is she drinking?  Salt intake?

I wouldn't test ACTH now but you could check insulin.

Thurstonjs@...

Hi Dr. Kellon,

Last night she drank 2/3's of her water bucket, better than the last few days. I was feeding salt regularly but ran out. I need to buy more today. All I have is Morton's iodized sea salt. I don't think I should feed that? Her water intake was better with the salt but could've been it got quite warm. I was still feeding salt the same time as soaking hay.

Today she seems calmer, let me groom and touch her sides. I just cleaned her stall, she's not stalled as she has an attached paddock. But there was a lot of urine this morning.

I will call my vet regarding insulin testing. Thank you!
--
Jackie Thurston
Suffolk, VA 2021
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jackie%20and%20Rose

Thurstonjs@...

Spoke with vet. Thyro-L increased to 3 scoops 2xday, retesting insulin and ACTH in 2 weeks. Will post updates in new post.
--
Jackie Thurston
Suffolk, VA 2021
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jackie%20and%20Rose

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Why is she on Thyro-L and why increase it?

Thyro-L does not affect insulin levels and is not a treatment for EMS/IR.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

Thurstonjs@...

She's been on 1 scoop Thyro-L daily and 1 scoop InsulinWise daily since mid April when her test results came back high for IR (with original owner). Apparently she was quite overweight then, feet tender, later abscessed at rescue.