Returning to exercise

nugget

I am writing to ask about the return to exercise. I have just read the FB post link about the topic and I wonder if anyone had some thoughts and guidance on what is the best thing to do for my pony.
10hh, 250kg, 13yrs. driving pony, single and pairs.
He had laminitis in May. Was on box rest for three weeks,  pain relief for 2 weeks (which I have since found out from this group probably wasn't helpful). Is now in small turn out area (12 metres x 12 metres)
He is completely sound in boots and pads. Still sore on left front without boots.
Is it best to wait until he is completely sound without boots before walking out on the lead rope?
Should he have 6 months distance from initial episode before returning slowly to driving? Or, should it be 6 months counting from when he is completely sound?
He is not PPID. Very likely EMS, we are awaiting blood test results.
Many thanks in advance.

--
Signature; LouNCS
Name; Louise Seymour

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Louise,

You can begin walking him in boots if he is sound in boots, but not barefoot. Need to also find out why he is sore on the LF. Are there radiographs?  He should not return to driving until any rotation and sinking has been corrected. As a rule of thumb, allow 10 to 12 months when there was rotation or sinking

nugget

Thank you very much. That is so much longer than the advice from my vet. There is some rotation; 4° on the right fore and 5° on the left fore. His xrays are in his file on this site. I have not been offered radiographs... would that show soft tissue inflammation?
I don't know whether the rotation occurred on this occasion (May 22) or on one of the two earlier episodes (March 20, May 21) that he had in the last two years.
He is still on 1.5% hay... soaked and mainly Timothy. He is difficult to walk... jumps and bucks and jogs...frustrated at losing his active  lifestyle that he loves!
He's having more xrays in August.
Thank you for all your brilliant work and advice as I feel it will give him the best chance of a safe recovery and positive future 🙂
--
Signature; LouNCS
Name; Louise Seymour

Sherry Morse

Hi Louise,

Can you please include the link to your photo album in your signature so we can access it? Did you complete a case history? If you did please include the link to that folder as well.
--

Thanks,
Sherry and Scutch (and Scarlet over the bridge)

PA 2014

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sherry%20and%20Scutch_Scarlet/Scutch%20Case%20History.pdf

Louise,

I agree with Sherry on this. We need a link to photos/radiographs and the complete case history.

Hi Louise,

Please add the photo link to your signature:   https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=276518

To do that:

1) Go to this link to amend your auto-signature: https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/editsub

2) Look at the bottom of that page for the window where you have your signature.

3) paste the link to your album in the line below your signature.  You may need to add a space to make the link live.

4) IMPORTANT: Scroll to the bottom and hit SAVE!

Based on those x-rays his trim needs to be addressed to bring back his toes and allow him to grow some sole. Until he has more sole he needs to be in boots and I would not be forcing him to do any exercise at this point beyond what he offers on his own.

nugget

Thank you.. is it possible to have a couple of hints about how to link my case history and my photos to the message. Any pointers would be much appreciated...

Sent from my Android phone with 1&1 Mail.
--
Signature; LouNCS
Name; Louise Seymour

Maxine McArthur

Louise, if you follow Sherry’s instructions below to add your case history link to your signature, the link will automatically appear every time you send a messsge (as mine does to this one).

Canberra, Australia 2010
ECIR Primary Response

nugget

Thank you for the advice...I think I've achieved it... hooray! The xray link has worked. Since these xrays he has had a trim to bring back the toe and improve the breakover and the heels are now also lower. He will have another xray 8 weeks after the first which was on the 20th June. He is due another trim in a fortnight. Should I ask my Farrier never to remove any sole? Last time I said it,  he said it was going to come off anyway and he couldn't get the hoof wall as it needed to be with the sole flaking away.
I've checked all his food,  it comes below the recommended starch and sugar amounts. He's due his blood test tomorrow at last... the vet has been a little delayed in this. I am planning that we'll get everything right for him so he can return to his driving next year x

--
Signature; LouNCS
Name; Louise Seymour

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=276518#

Kirsten Rasmussen

Hi Louise,

Soles are too thin so nothing should be removed, even flaking "dead" sole, as it does add some protection the longer it's there.  It looks to me like there is a significant medio-lateral trim imbalance on the LF that has put the bony column out of alignment and could explain the soreness.  I am also not seeing rotation of the bony column, which would usually be corrected by lowering the heels.  In your case the heels are already a bit too low and Nugget has what we call capsular rotation, which is due to the toes being too far forward.  This is something that can be corrected by adjusting the trim.  I hope Lavinia will comment, but in the meantime it would be helpful to see a full round of photos on all 4, as described here (please use our naming scheme to label all your images), since he has been trimmed since the xrays (aka radiographs) were done.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR + PPID) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History