Topics

Rice, oat, wheat bran

jessica skene

Hi!

Does rice, wheat or oat bran can be used in small quantity to do home made horse cookies?

I try to find some interesting recepies

Last time I used:

Soy hull + apple peels + celery + linseed + salt + a bit of oil

My mare did love it but I find it hard to make the patty to like stick together, as many things are not so sticky!

I was thinking maybe bran of some sort? any other idea ? agar agar or thing like that?

Can stevia be used? if so I may plant some in my garden :)
Can we put fresh mint? I saw parsley could be used! I will try to use that maybe melon rind to! I do testing ahaha

Any idea?
--
Jessica Skene  - Abitibi, Québec, Canada
Sonara => Canadian X QH mare , 11 years old, historic of founder and suspicion of IR

october 2017

Link to case history: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jessica%20Skene%20and%20Sonara/SonaraCaseHistory.pdf
Link to album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=10295&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Link to hay analysis: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jessica%20Skene%20and%20Sonara/analysedefoin.pdf

Lorna

Hi Jessica,

None of those ingredients is recommended for IR horses.
Have you tried our Files? Scroll down to treats. There are some good ideas there.
Also,check the message archives for treats. Lots of  ideas there,too.

--

Lorna Cane
Ontario, Canada

Cindy Q

Hi Lorna

I believe stevia can be used though? https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/topic/32052696#236721

Jessica, for the cookies, flaxseed cookies seem to work well (recipe in the files). I use less cinnamon than the recipe calls for and I bake longer.
--
Cindy - Sep 2017, Singapore

Lorna

That's correct,Cindy. I should have been clearer.
I was just talking about the ingredients Jessica asked about in her first sentence. For me,it followed that anything added to them wouldn't make them any better for the IR horse,so.....
Thanks for mentioning it.

--

Lorna Cane
Ontario, Canada

jessica skene

Thank you!

my mare is picky tho... a real princess ahaha so I am always looking for new thing to try!

stevia is ok then
I may use non melassed beet pulp too 🤔

Agar agar? Pectin?
thank you

jessica
--
Jessica Skene  - Abitibi, Québec, Canada
Sonara => Canadian X QH mare , 11 years old, historic of founder and suspicion of IR

october 2017

Link to case history: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jessica%20Skene%20and%20Sonara/SonaraCaseHistory.pdf
Link to album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=10295&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Link to hay analysis: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jessica%20Skene%20and%20Sonara/analysedefoin.pdf

Lorna

Hi Jessica,

Good idea.
We should always use unmolassed beet pulp for our compromized horses.

I think it might be a human thing to assume our horses always want something sweet.

--

Lorna Cane
Ontario, Canada