Topics

Riosa trim guidelines

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Heather,

I've added mark-ups to Riosa's album:

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=8819&p=pcreated,,,20,2,0,0

The trim had improved greatly from where you started - good job. The excessive overall amount of hoof capsule is gone, front toes have come back enormously, heels are starting to move back under her and it looks like there may be some concavity starting to develop. The trim needs to get a bit more targeted now to address the things that still need help, rather than everything needing adjustments. Continue to monitor the collateral groove depths to maintain medio-lateral balance and to help with adjusting the heel position. Keep the bevels on the bottoms of the walls until all the detached material has grown out. Also keep a bevel on the toes to keep the breakover set back.

LF dorsal: This is the only foot that still shows obvious flaring all around. The bevel you have on the bottoms are keeping all of that out of ground contact, so it's a matter of just getting it rasped inward and removed as it grows down. The green lines show where the tightly attached wall would be. Blue Xs are that flared wall that can be rasped away from the top, in the bottom 1/3 of the hoof capsule. The darker colored hoof material above the visible crack running horizontally across the toe is that bulbous chunk of remaining lamellar wedge material.

LF lateral: The green outline is there to give you an idea of where the hoof capsule eventually will be. You can see where the coronary band bulges above it, pulling down and inside as it reaches the heels The lamellar wedge in the toe region bulges out beyond it and the heels are run inward from the heel line. The yellow lines follow some of the horn tubules from top to bottom, while the pink lines show how those tubules should be aligned. You can't trim the hoof capsule into the final shape but you can set it up so that is has a template to follow so that all the distrotions are able to grow out.

LF lateral sole plane: Green line shows where the new growth wants to be. Blue area is the wedge material that can be rasped away.

LF sole: Blue solid lines in the heels are where the wall should end - hashed areas need to be rasped away. Blue solid line at the toe is where to start the bevel on the bottom, into the are where the blue dots are.

RF lateral: Same as the LF. Blue area is the bulbous wedge that cane be removed.

RF lateral sole plane: Blue area corresponds to the blue on the lateral view. Green line follows the healthier new growth at the top all the way to the ground. Blue half-circle line is where to start the bevel on the bottom of the toe.

RF sole: Same discussion as the LF. SOlid blue liens are where the perimeter of the hoof be, hashed areas need to be removed. Light blue dots are in the bevel at the toe.

LH lateral: Blue is the toe that needs to be backed up.

LH lateral sole plane: Blue is toe to back up. Green line follows the healthier new growth coming in under the coronary band to the ground.

LH sole: Blue solid line is where the perimeter of the hoof should be, hashed areas are where to remove/bevel out of ground contact.

RH lateral: Blue is where to back the toe.

RH lateral sole plane: Same as the other three.

RH sole: Same idea as the LH. The lime hashes are along the leading edge of the lateral bar that can be tidied up a bit, but only along that edge, nothing closer to the frog.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

Kirsten Rasmussen

So good to see the progress you have made, Heather!

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

hdavis

Hello!  Sorry for the delay on getting post trim pics! Have had some miserable weather but managed to get some
pics on the weekend before it we got some minus 20C weather and snow!  Would like to know what you think Lavinia.  I wasn’t sure how to remove the bulge u mentioned.  Was I suppose to shorten the toe enough to take it right off?  What I did was bring the toe back and then rasped off the bulges from the top. Maybe not correct. Still can take more off but wanted some guidance to see if I was on track with removing it.  Thanks!!!
--
Heather
August 5, 2017, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

Riosa

Storm

Case History

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Heather,

Good job on reducing that bulbous wedge on both front feet. You can keep whittling way at it in your trims until that entire dorsal wall aligns with the angle of the new growth. Just maintain a good, solid roll on the toe at ground level.

In general, keep backing the toes up on the hinds as they are still too long. Add ramps to the backs of those heels as well .

The RF appears to be laterally high in the heel.

Check the collateral groove depths on each foot - you're looking for 1" at the deepest point in the back half of the foot and 3/4" in the front half. You want both grooves in each foot to be equal depth so that you have medio-lateral balance:

https://www.hoofrehab.com/HorsesSole.html

https://www.hoofrehab.com/Balance.html

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

hdavis

Thanks Lavinia!

Glad I am on track with the bulbous portion and the front hooves.  I need trim the frog a bit on the corners at the back to get a better CG measurement as was having issues.  I did notice the lateral heel being higher on the outside hind after I looked at the pics and adjusted it but need to check measurements to be sure. I also think I  a bit more than 1” at the backs so can maybe bring heels down a bit more. But not sure as need to measure fronts too.

As for the hinds I will take them back tomorrow when I trim my other horses so will get her fixed up.

When do you think would be a good time to get X-rays done or should I wait a bit longer yet?  Thoughts?

Thanks again for the feedback!!
--
Heather
August 5, 2017, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

Riosa

Storm

Case History

Lavinia Fiscaletti

You want to measure the collateral grooves at their deepest point toward the back - which isn't necessarily as far back as the back of the heels. Place your measurement tool into the collateral groove at mid-foot, then move it gently rearward while maintaining contact with the bottom of the groove. You'll find where it dips lowest, then starts to get shallower again.

Last rads were done in April, so 7 months ago. Trim has changed a lot since then, so any time now would be great. Please ask the vet for "clean copies" (without all the measurements on them) so we can clearly see where structures are. Marking the tip of the frog and the dorsal wall would be helpful as well.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

Raymond Petterson