Romey hay test

Tamramaze@...

-- can someone review the recent hay test for Romey
Tamra Williamson
lexington KY

Nancy C

Hi Tamra

A quick look:

I would want to know if these are NIR test or Wet Chemistry. I would be concerned with ESC if it was the NIR test and would re-test ESC.

The first hay has very high iron. Dairy One says they tested minerals twice to confirm reported numbers.  I would avoid it if possible. The major minerals (Calcium, Mag, Phos) are okay and can be balanced.

The second test does not have the traces so we don't know iron, etc.  Majors are okay to be balanced.

Hope this helps.  Not what you wanted to hear probably.
--
Nancy C in NH

Tamramaze@...

What can I do about the high iron? Is this the most recent test that had the trace minerals added
--
Tamra Williamson
lexington KY

Nancy C

Hi Tamra

I am getting very confused. Is your horse IR? Review of your messages does not bring clarity.

If he's not, we need to move this to Horsekeeping.

What to do about high iron in general:
Resample and retest.
Rinse and retest.
Shake out and retest.
Balance the hay.  But this level  is nearly toxic.
If after retesting, your hay continued with this level of iron,  I'd not feed it.

If your horse is not IR or PPID, we need to move this message.

--
Nancy C in NH