Rose update

Thurstonjs@...

My vet came yesterday for fall shots, dental exams, gathered manure for her fecal etc. She thought Rose looked good but to watch her crest, not as smooth as before. I had her fasting so blood could be drawn for an updated metabolic test. I should get the results Friday or Monday. I told her I had stopped feeding Tribute Essential K and Super Sport and that I was looking for another supplement for her vitamin/minerals. She suggested Grow & Win, said you don't have feed a lot. I let it go, I didn't feel comfortable telling her I wasn't going to feed it. Just wasn't the time.

She also took. A blood sample from my gelding for testing. He is probably IR, on Thyro-L due to weight but never tested. His weight looks good now but there are some subtle signs possibly pointing to Cushings. I will start a case history for him when I get those results back. I am feeding him the same diet now as Rose but not same amounts.

I did order California Trace Plus for both horses and their magnesium and picked up the TC flax today.

They will get:
TC Balanced Cubes
Salt
Flax
California Trace Plus
Magnesium
10% or less grass hay (taking into account how much cubes they get)

The CA Plus has 1950iu Vitamin E. Do I still need to supplement the Vitamin E?

I am hoping this will help both horses and prepare them for winter too.
--
Jackie Thurston
Suffolk, VA 2021

Sherry Morse

Hi Jackie,

We don't recommend fasting for bloodwork - you can read about that here: https://www.ecirhorse.org/FastingInsulin-LabRefRanges.php.  We can still interpret the test results, you'll just need to note that the tests were done fasting when you update your case history and also when you ask about them.

Thurstonjs@...

Hi Sherry,

What I meant by that is she got water and hay, no grass or grain. The vet called that fasting.
--
Jackie Thurston
Suffolk, VA 2021
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jackie%20and%20Rose

Maxine McArthur

Hi Jackie
Just wanted to check that the vet drew blood *before* dental exams and other handling? If not, that can skew the results, particularly if sedation is used for the dentals.

Canberra, Australia 2010
ECIR Primary Response

On Wed, Sep 15, 2021 at 10:33 AM, <Thurstonjs@...> wrote:

The CA Plus has 1950iu Vitamin E. Do I still need to supplement the Vitamin E?
Yes, Jackie, you do still need to supplement Vitamin E. To be absorbed, it should be either (1) freshly combined with oil or in a gel cap or formula containing oil, or (2) one of the micellized forms like Emcelle or NanoE. If you search messages for Vitamin E, you’ll find lots of recent discussions about the options.

--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator

Thurstonjs@...

Hi Maxine,

Yes, the vet blood first. Rose wasn't sedated but blood was drawn prior to shots. My other horse was sedated but blood was drawn first before shots and sedation.

Thank you for asking to make sure!
--
Jackie Thurston
Suffolk, VA 2021
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jackie%20and%20Rose

Thurstonjs@...

Thank you, Cass! I will get some ordered.