safe antibiotics for metabolic horses

Gary Moore

Could you please advise me on what is safe for a metabolic horse to take for infection. My horse has an infection and needs antibiotics. The vet came and did blood work. The SAA was 690 so she would like to start her on doxycycline. Is that safe for her? She has been on metformin for a year and takes 2.25 prascend tablets daily. She has been doing great. In the past, she was given equisul-SDT and an excede shot. The combo made her colic. Thanks
--
Sue in PA 2020

Hi Sue,
I’m not a vet but using doxy sounds reasonable to me.  We frequently advise people to test for Lyme Disease and, if positive, to treat with doxy.  We use it preferentially here and all my horses are PPID and on pergolide.  Some are IR but on one is on metformin now.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Doxy is fine. Many vets have switched to minocycline 4 mg/kg twice a day for Lyme and feel it works better.  Minocycline has better antiinflammatory and antiautoimmune properties.

Gary Moore

Are soaked Standlee Timothy hay pellets safe to feed to get meds and supplements in my horse. Along with an infection, she also reacted  to the banamine and got dehydrated. Bloodwork showed a high creatine and BUN level. The vet was able to give her  3 bags of fluid via IV on Friday night. She was started on gastroguard and the doxy. Saturday's bloodwork showed creatine levels back within the normal range.  She is now eating soaked hay but will no longer eat the R/S/R beet pulp with her supplements and meds.  Is it safe to give her  the soaked Timothy hay pellets? She is willing to at least eat a small amount of that. How much can be given to an 850lb pony?
Thanks for the help.
Sue in PA 2020

--
Sue in PA 2020

Hi Sue,
Can you syringe in the meds and supplements?  I assume what you mean by soaking the pellets is adding water and letting them sit.  That wouldn’t reduce the sugars at all because, once they’re soaked, all the water is inside the pellet and there’s nothing to pour off.  Timothy pellets are probably fairly low in sugar but you don’t know how low and, without a case history to review, it’s hard to know how sensitive your pony is.  (If you have a case history, please put the link to the folder in your signature so we can find it.)  A handful of pellets may well be fine where a pound might well be too much for her.
How was she getting her supplements before she needed meds?  I usually don’t add meds to food because it’s so important to ingest it all.  When I was giving doxy to a larger horse, I syringed the ground tablets in and then transitioned to feeding them whole in a very small amount of food.  He was comfortable with the taste from the syringing and licked the dish clean.  I held the dish up to his mouth while he ate so there was limited chance of his dropping pills.  Some supplements like salt can be added to her soaked hay.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response
July 2012

Martha and Logo

Gary Moore

Thank you ECIR for the advice on safe meds. Using that info, she has recovered nicely. However while she was sick ( infection and acute renal failure from banamine that required  IV fluids), she lost a good bit of muscle mass and some weight rather quickly. What can I safely give her to help her regain what she lost with winter approaching? She does get 1 1/2 cups dry R/S/R beet pulp daily along with EQUI VM and Equi Cal, Vit e and a little bit of ground flaxseed. Her hay is already low in ESC and starch  but I still soak it and feed 2% of her body weight (850lb)
Thanks again. This group has been a lifesaver for a metabolic horse owner.
--
Sue in PA 2020

Sherry Morse

Hi Sue,

As noted in your welcome message (https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/271215) we really need more information about your mare to advise you.  You noted in your initial message that she was losing muscle mass and topline, both of which are signs of PPID not being well controlled. When was the last time her ACTH was checked and what was the test result?  Are you actually weighing the hay?  If it's low ESC+starch (under 10%) is there a reason you're soaking it?

If you could complete a case history and provide actual test results it will enable us to better help you.

Gary Moore

I now have the case history completed. Could you please give me some guidance in what to feed DJ to increase her weight and muscle mass before winter. I have been giving her extra portions of hay ( tested under 10% and soaked) along with extra R/S/R beet pulp. I added a cup of Timothy balance cubes. How much extra is safe to give her? Is  there anything else I can add? She was in great body  shape and was being exercised 3/4 times weekly prior to the teeth floating episode. After which she lost weight and muscle mass quickly.
Thanks.

--
Sue in PA 2020

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sue%20and%20DJ

Maxine McArthur

Hi Sue
It looks like your last ACTH test was December 2021. Has DJ been tested since? The tooth episode was probably a shock to her system that caused the weight loss, but if her PPID is not controlled, that will likely interfere with her recovery from the episode. Since it is the seasonal rise, it's likely that her ACTH has risen and unless you test, you won't know by how much.
If your hay is under 10%, as Sherry says, you could try not soaking it and that will help her with some calories. While monitoring her carefully, of course. Extra beet pulp is safe too, as are the Timothy Balance cubes and you can increase the amount of those as much as you need to (bearing in mind that they are more calorie-dense than plain hay). But if her PPID is not controlled, she will find it hard to regain weight and topline no matter what you feed her, so getting ACTH retested would be a good first step.

Canberra, Australia 2010
ECIR Primary Response

Gary Moore

The vet was out this morning and drew blood for ACTH and insulin and should have results by the end of the week.  She weight taped her at 700lbs. DJ typically is around 850. She has been getting 15 lbs daily. Should I increase her hay amount to try and put some weight on her? The hay she has been on all year has an ESC of 2.8 and starch .3 as fed (RFV 79 and protein10.6). I have a choice of two new hays.  One has an ESC of 5.2 and starch.2.(RFV 90 and protein 10.3) The other is ESC of 7.7 and starch .4 (RFV 104 and protein 11.1)  All 3 hays were tested by Equi-Analytical. Even though it was very low ESC and starch, all of her hay has been soaked for the last year. Is  there something else I can add to encourage weight gain? Should I continue the Timothy balance cubes with her beet pulp? If so, how much should she get daily?

--
Sue in PA 2020

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sue%20and%20DJ

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

 Whether or not you should increase her calories depends on her body condition score.  Could you post a body photo? You shouldn't have to soak any of those hays. Why are you soaking? How much hay, beet pulp and cubes is she getting?