Safe bagged hay?

Amy

Is Triplee Crown safe starch fortified forage bagged hay safe?
I apparently miscalculated and I won't have enough hay until 1st cutting.
I'm looking but obviously this time of the year there isn't a bunch to choose from.
Not sure if this is considered "safe" for a Cushing's/IR horse?
- Amy 10-2016

Mooresville, Indiana

Stormy, Case History, Photo Album https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=282454  .

Sherry Morse

Hi Amy,

If you want a safe Triple Crown product you need the Triple Crown Naturals Timothy Balance Cubes NOT safe starch which is not tested and guaranteed to be 10% ESC + starch or less like the balanced cubes.  Most Tractor Supply stores will order them for you.  My local one needs a minimum order of 4 bags at a time.

Amy

My guy won't eat those.  I have tried.  He snubs them.  Mmm....
--
- Amy 10-2016

Mooresville, Indiana

Stormy, Case History, Photo Album https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=282454  .

@SarahNJ

Green Meadows Equal Balance bagged forage is another option I learned about through the ECIR community. I spoke with a rep from the company who was very helpful explaining the product and how it’s made. I can’t remember if the ESC + starch % was guaranteed on the bag itself, but I did have it tested by Equi-Analytical and the analysis on the particular bag I checked was indeed under 10% ESC + starch. I don’t know if the analysis was added to the commercial feed library but it is in my files. I had to special order the product. My horse wouldn’t eat much of it, unfortunately (he’s pretty particular), but I was happy with the quality and customer service. My horse wouldn’t eat Safe Starch, either. He preferred Green Meadows Equal Balance to the Safe Starch, but didn’t eat much of either product for long.
--
Sarah | Central New Jersey, USA | 2021
Wizard Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sarah%20and%20Wizard

Trisha DePietro

hi Amy- my horses don't like the triple crown tim balanced cubes- until I add the flax, salt and vit E....and then they want more!!! I think its the nutty flax flavor that they like. Salt can be a flavor enhancer too for some horses. they will eat the cubes for about 2 days and then they start leaving some each day if I feed it without the flax, salt and Vit E. I use them to save on hay as well. 3 pounds of cubes is equal to 4 pounds of hay...
--
Trisha DePietro
Aug 2018