Topics

Safe Feeding of Beet Pulp

Cathie

Beet Pulp is very beneficial for our horses. From time to time I see comments and concerns about the way it is harvested using Round-Up.

I have fed it for many years, maybe as many as 10 years. It has always been the best way for me to add the ration balancer for each individual horse that best suits his needs.  I have two cushings and a PSSM2 horse.

I use Beet Pulp Shreds "Standlee" as is does not contain any Molasses. When I scoop it from the container to prepare it for rinsing, I am going to start doing that part wearing an N95 mask.   It is dusty and I have not yet begun the rinsing process.

The reason for this is a year ago I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer.  I have no family history of the disease and live a healthy lifestyle.  I was very lucky to have it caught very early and I am fine today.  However, it is a concern what could have been the cause?

I suspect it would be a good idea to protect myself from the dust that occurs when I scoop out my portions for rinsing and soaking.  I would strongly recommend that you all do that same.   It will keep you safe from inhaling the dust.  Once it is washed I would think it will be fine to handle further.

Please continue to feed it as I have.  I do believe it is a good choice for our horses, just need to add this step and awareness to our daily routine!!

Cathie Y in MI 2020
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Cathie%20and%20Dorado

Cathie,

Beet is not harvested using RoundUp to kill the top vegetation as has been claimed. That's pure fiction. The tops of beets are shaved off mechanically. It's called topping and is done by a machine.

RoundUp ready sugar beets can't be defoliated by RoundUp anyway. By definition, it doesn't affect them.

Frances C.

I quit using "shreds" for the same reason - couldn't stand the dust. I use the pellets which I believe have some molasses and maybe iron due to the processing. Interesting though that I see different qualities - the pellets produced from Idaho seems different from those in California and the Standlee smelling strong of molasses.  Mine get only 8 ozs. a day.
--
- Frances C.
December 2017, Washington & California

Bobbie Day

This comes up all the time, I saved Dr.K’s article on this topic because I can’t believe how many people don’t feed it because they were told at least some of the misconceptions . I personally feed molasses free standee pellets.
we still r/s/r but I’ve never had a problem with dust. Cathie I wish you all the best❤️

https://drkhorsesense.wordpress.com/2020/07/30/beet-pulp-in-equine-nutrition/

--
Bobbie and Desi
NRC March 2020

From Dr. Kellon:  "Myth: Beet pulp is high in insoluble fiber and poorly digestible. Exactly the opposite is true. It is lower in insoluble fiber than grass/hay, high in soluble fiber and very easily digested in the large intestine by fermentation. Because of this high soluble fiber content, beet pulp is also an excellent prebiotic."
But does it cause gut irritation in some horses?  I have twice had horses go off their feed and have increased intestinal sounds when beet pulp was introduced (possibly too quickly).  One horse, who had a history of what appeared to be gas colic, and appeared to be gassy in this circumstance, colicked and died overnight shortly thereafter after what I now realized was days of intermittent gassiness and mild discomfort.   I have no idea what was going on with him, but he was the type of horse who had colicked a couple of times over the years, though resolved with treatment, so he was susceptible.  I always wondered if it was the beet pulp, and I am responsible.  My vet is not very good at sleuthing out the causes for things, so she was no help in figuring out the roots of the gassiness, and I had never heard of Gas-X.

So it was unlikely to have been beet pulp related?

--
Gail Russell 8/30/2008

 https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Gail%20and%20Brother%20-%20Odin%20-%20Decaffe%20%20-Gunthar .

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Instead of saying beet pulp related, diet change related would be more accurate.  All horses should have diet changes made gradually, including new hays and hay to pasture or vice versa. Need to be especially careful in horses with a history of digestive upset.

Bobbie Day

Gail,
I have introduced BP to many horses and personally have never had any Gi issues, maybe Dr.K will chime in but I think in my case it’s done the opposite and helped things move along. We have a lot of sand here so although desi gets it daily for mostly a carrier for her supplements  I feed to my others for that reason only.

--
Bobbie and Desi
NRC March 2020

jroswick2@...

I've been using beet pulp shreds without molasses from Midwest Agri for the past 2 1/2 years for my IR mare, and they are great. Virtually no dust, smells better, and overall much cleaner than Standlee.  I have my local livestock supply order them for me and usually takes about three days for them to arrive.  Ran short one time so bought a bag of Standlee as as stop gap - never again!  Highly recommend!

Julie and Nadia
North Dakota, May 2018

Deb Walker

I also use Midwest Agri non-molasses beet pulp and I echo the sentiments of Julie above. Once when my supplier ran out, I substituted a bag of Standlee and ended up throwing that out as soon as my Midwest Agri came in. The smell, the consistency...everything was way off. I do RSR, but there is absolutely no dust when scooping it. Scotty has been getting beet pulp for years at a much heftier quantity than most people here feed. When I had the *non*-bright idea to start tapering him off of his usual amount, my vet noticed a weight loss. Put him back to his usual amount and the weight came back and has remained steady.
--
Deb and Scotty I/R, PPID
Pecatonica Illinois, May 13, 2019
Case History:
Photos:

Bobbie Day

We can’t get that brand here, my local feed store orders from IFA only but I’ll have to try to find some. I’ve never had that problem with standee though.

--
Bobbie and Desi
NRC March 2020