Salt

Starshine Ranch

I just read what you wrote to Lynn about sweating and salt amounts.
Midnight and Stara have never been big sweaters but over the last couple of years Midnight has been sweating a lot more.
They won't take even a tablespoon of salt in their supplements so are you suggesting I should syringe it?   They do lick their
salt blocks but not so much.
--
Linda in Grass Valley, CA  2020  Midnight and Ostara
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Linda%20Midnight%20OStara

Sherry Morse

Ways to encourage salt intake include salting wet hay (starting in very small amounts) and adding gradually into feed, again starting in very small amounts. Think a pinch, not a tablespoon to start.
--

Thanks,
Sherry and Scutch (and Scarlet over the bridge)

PA 2014

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sherry%20and%20Scutch_Scarlet/Scutch%20Case%20History.pdf

If they are even just sweating between the hind legs and under the mane you can get into trouble very quickly in the high heat. Bare minimum target salt intake is 2 oz/day  - 4 tablespoons. You can't rely on salt lick intake at all. I'm sure it will happen as soon as I write this, but I've never heard of a horse refusing salted hay. Spread out the wet hay and sprinkle on the salt from your hand. Syringing it in is also an option but not likely to be very popular. Never syringe salt on an empty stomach.

LJ Friedman

A question about your recent reply. I have brrn giving 2 ounces of salt i for years. But never thought of going higher. Should I be going higher if a horse is sweating?   And how high would you go? Thank you

Jesse( over the rainbow) and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

LJ,

Two ounces should cover most horses in heat but if you are seeing sweating under the mane, along the chest, between the hind legs, go up to 3 oz