Saraphina blood work,help Dr. Kellon

CYNDI CARLSON

Hi,
Saraphina had blood work done September 2nd. vet gave her 10cc B-12 and put her on 7 tablets of Sucralfate twice a day.Both seemed to help for a bit ,she has been on Gastrogard since August 15th, haven’t seen much change.she is currently on 1/2 a tube of Gastrogard and I am now giving her 100X Equine Gut X. The company believes in their product for colonic ulcers.Shes eating close to 10 lbs dry hay per feeding( twice a day) My old vet just did a ACTH test it came back at 14. Saraphina will not eat any devils claw or supplements. I give her Metformin,vitamin e, Magnesium, trace minerals and flax oil all by oral syringe.old Vet has me giving her CBD( her own company makes it) and believes her Prascend at 2 mg a day is to high and causing her to be picky with food.I also give Saraphina APF. Is there any thing else I can try if it is colonic ulcers? For some reason the vet does not believe it’s ulcers, I’m guessing because she thinks the Gastrogard would have cleared up any chances of that?
Also old vet said dose of Sucralfate was to low to make a difference.
Good news! Philip is making progress with her feet! He seems happy with her progress. She is up most of the time and walking around( sore but better) I will work on photo’s of her feet!
--
Cyndi Carlson in Colorado 2021

Hi Cyndi,

It appears that Saraphina is improving although it might not seem that way with each tube of GastroGard you purchase.  I know we told you earlier about UlcerGard and Abler products which would save you some money.

It would be really helpful if you renamed the documents in your folder of Saraphina’s vet records.  The most recently posted are the ones I expect you would like to have reviewed - the ACTH, which looks super, although it would be nice to know who did the testing, the CBC, which I can’t help with and the equine diagnostic report which is likewise.  If you could rename them to better describe what they are and the date, that would be fantastic.  You can do that by clicking on the box with a pen in it next to the file name in the folder I linked to.  There are some values which are not in the normal range, although not markedly so, and hopefully Dr. Kellon can take a look at them.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Edited

Hi Cindi,

First, hind gut ulcers is not a real thing - https://wp.me/p2WBdh-Do .  Unless she is/was on bute or another NSAID, this isn't colonic ulcers. If she was on an NSAID with Gastrogard at the same time she is at even higher risk for colonic ulceration.

Is she still on thyroid supplementation? That will cause weight loss, but not poor appetite.  Oral ulcerations from syringing the metformin are another possibility.

If her pergolide dose is the problem, you would have seen it as soon as you increased her dose.  Did you see that?

Just for the record, the low end white cell count and differential wouldn't concern me in an older horse. They are far from dangerously low. On the chemistry screen, triglyceride elevation is from the EMS. Bicarbonate and anion gap data are not reliable unless the sample is freshly tested.

CYNDI CARLSON

Hi Martha,
I will get the files renamed!

I did order Omeprazole from Abler in August but still haven’t seen it. Buying Ulcergard.
It’s just been such a battle to get her to eat! But I have seen improvements, especially her feet!
--
Cyndi Carlson in Colorado 2021

CYNDI CARLSON

Dr. Kellon,
she has been off thyro-L since July 10th.She was on Nsaids and Gastrogard for three weeks before I weaned her off them and is currently on Ulcergard with no Nsaids since August 15.
I did not see her stop eating when I raised her dose off Prascend.she was picky and stopped eating soaked hay and supplements before I even started the Prascend and I do give her APF I have been giving her Metformin with milk of magnesia and she does start eating a half an hour after her dose so I don’t think that is it.Should I be treating her for Colonic Ulcers? My vet ( old vet)wants to scope her to see if that is what is causing her poor appetite.The new vet I had called for the blood test has me giving her Sucralfate 7 tabs twice a day.
--
Cyndi Carlson in Colorado 2021

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

If she has been off NSAIDs that long colonic ulcers are not the problem. Have you tried the hay unsoaked to see if she will eat it that way? Anything else she eats readily? Milk of Magnesia is an antacid. You could try giving her a dose of it at another time of day to see if it changes her eating then. While your vet is there  be sure to request an exam for oral ulcers.

CYNDI CARLSON

Dr. Kellon,
she has only ate her hay dry for the last two months.She ate some soaked last night and today.I am giving her a syringe of baby food carrot and water after her metformin with milk of magnesia.She likes that plus I thought it would flush the metformin out.She starts eating after I have her wait a half hour, so do you think that would still be the problem?I don’t see the vet coming for awhile since she was just here.I need to post her notes, she believes it is the Prascend is to high. I haven’t seen a problem with the Prascend.I will try another dose of milk of magnesia. I have been giving her Uckele Gut orally ( mix it with water)I have offered beet plup with several favors and bran, Stabul 1, TC hay cubes,she will not eat any of these. The only thing she will eat is nutrena boost which I don’t want to give her. I will get help to take a good look in her mouth.

--
Cyndi Carlson in Colorado 2021

CYNDI CARLSON

I uploaded the medical notes from my vets last visit . The vet was wanting me to ask about switching Saraphina to Cabergoline injections to possibly help with her appetite?I really don’t want to start injections but I will if suggested that this will help.i have given her B-12 a couple times it helped but only for a few days.
--
Cyndi Carlson in Colorado 2021

Sherry Morse

Hi Cyndi,

Cabergoline is very expensive and horses can experience a veil with it just like Prascend.  What is going on with Saraphina does not sound like a veil to me; but could be an issue with her stomach bothering her or an issue with her mouth.

CYNDI CARLSON

Sherry,
thank you for the Cabergoline information. I did get my husband to hold her got a pen light and looked around in her mouth and did not see anything odd, of course with out dental jaws I couldn’t see way in the back.
--
Cyndi Carlson in Colorado 2021