Seasonal rise

Lesley Bludworth

Hello,
Is it too late to increase prascend for seasonal rise?
My boarders horse has been on 1 tab of prascend for several years.
No repeat testing that I am aware of.
He is acting quite anxious, pacing etc in the mornings, like he used to before he was put on prascend.
The vet is coming to draw Sophie's blood to test to see if metformin is working on Monday.  He will have a blood draw for ATCH then but the results take a while.
Could I increase him now by 1/4 or 1/2 a pill? Will it be too late to increase the dose in 2 weeks when we finally get his numbers back?
--
Lesley Bludworth
Phoenix, AZ

Sherry Morse

Hi Lesley,

At this point we are getting into 'chasing the rise' but if you change the dose now you won't be able to test and see if that's working for 3 more weeks (August 30) which is that much closer to the rise.  So you are at a point we don't like anyone to be at.

As far as the behavior - is this something that only presented before he was diagnosed with PPID and did it disappear 100% when treatment started and this is the first time it's been exhibited since?

Just as an aside, it should not take 2 weeks to get test results back from Cornell.  If your vet Fed Exs the blood on Monday for arrival on Tuesday you should have results by Friday or the following Monday.

Lesley Bludworth

Thank you Sherry,
The 2 weeks takes into account that she wont be here for a week, the test is monday at 10am, results back in 4 to 5 days... so 11 to 12 days from now?
And for my girl, I should feed soaked hay at 6 AM or earlier for a 10  insulin and glucose test?

[...]

Ah ok - I was thinking you meant 2 weeks from the blood draw!

Yes for the 10am test, you want her to start eating no later than 6am if she's out of hay after midnight.

Lesley Bludworth

Thank you