Seasonal Rise and allergies

vicky monen

Hi,

My IR/Cushings boy seems to be having severe itchiness during the seasonal rise.  He deals with sweet itch and possibly neck thread worms. (I do the ivermectim treament every to 3 to 4 weeks starting spring and into summer if needed). He did well during spring and most of the summer, but suddenly  now he is itching again terribly bad.  Is there any correlation with bug allergies during the seasonal rise?  We do have no see ums here in Ga and I know that they bother my guy pretty bad.  He is up to 1.5 mg of pracend 1 x day.

How does the correct prascend dose affect allergies, or does it?

Can an IR horse have cough ease?

How much benedryl or zyrtec can be given to a  1000lb IR horse (dosage and brand)?

I am currently waiting on my lab results from last week to see where his insulin and acth levels are currently at.  I am planning to increase the prascend to the 2pills 1x a day. My understanding is that increasing the prascend during the rise may not be effective compared to before the rise.   FYI, my guys ACTH is always in the low to normal range, as he is early cushings.  Our insulin is usually the issue we are constantly battling.

Trying to give this guy some comfort from the extreme  itching!  Starting desitin/vicks/zims mix topically.  Trying to figure out what anti-histamine or close to it, is safe for him for these allergies.
--
Vicky Monen and Samson

Aug 2015, Alpharetta Ga.

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Vicky%20and%20Samson

Hi Vicky,
PPID is associated with an increase in allergies.  With your vet’s cooperation, you could increase his pergolide a bit to see if that helps.  You would have to do that fairly soon or your results will be complicated by the fact that the rise will be at peak next week and beginning to drop off.

I noticed you were giving him 2 Prascend in January but I didn’t see any mention in your case history of having cut him back.  Did you increase it for the fall rise last year but not this year?

Dr. Kellon addressed the question of antihistamine use for someone else recently.  Have you tried searching the messages?  You will also find lots of help dealing with itchiness there.  It’s a hot topic.

--

Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

Sherry Morse

Hi Vicky,

You'll know once you get your test results back if his PPID/IR is controlled or not but increased itchiness can be a sign that the PPID isn't as controlled as it could be.

I would not use Cough Ease as it's made in a honey base.

I'm a bit confused as you said in July that you were going to start giving him the 2mg of Prascend once a day instead of splitting the dose (https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/266815) did that not happen?

vicky monen

Yes, I was switching him from splitting the dose of 1mg am and 1mg pm to one dose of 2 mg per day.   I got him up to 1.5 dose per day and he stopped eating  and was refusing meds.  He gets the veil with any changes at all with the prascend.  I was afraid to just give him the 2 pills all at one time in a single dose as I knew it would have a harsh veil with it. So, I got him to the 1.5 pills and am working him up to the 2 full pills in one dose at this time.  I know its not perfect since the seasonal rise and I should have already gotten him taking the 2 pills at one time by now.
--
Vicky Monen and Samson

Aug 2015, Alpharetta Ga.

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Vicky%20and%20Samson

Sherry Morse

Hi Vicky,

Did you give him APF while titrating him up?

vicky monen

Yes, I always use APF when titrating him up.  It doesnt make any significant difference, but I still use it every time!  He is super sensitive.
--
Vicky Monen and Samson

Aug 2015, Alpharetta Ga.

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Vicky%20and%20Samson

Sherry Morse

Hi Vicky,

How much are you using?

vicky monen

vicky monen

--Do you  have a suggested dose outside of what's listed on the packaging?  Will 6ml to 8ml 1x day be enough for 1000lbs?

Please let me know if I should increase this to help with the veil.  I am open to any suggestions!

Thanks!

Vicky Monen and Samson

Aug 2015, Alpharetta Ga.

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Vicky%20and%20Samson

Sherry Morse

Hi Vicky,

We have people who have dosed up to 10ml but you might get more answers by posting a new topic titled "APF Help" or something like that so people know that's what you have a question on.  You can also search on "APF Dosage" in the messages and this thread might be helpful as well: https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/topic/77422193#256665

Hi, Vicky.
My Paint suffers from the veil, too. I give her 3 droppers of APF twice a day. Sorry I don't have the dropper in front of me. I don't stop until she's eating normally. It took her 3 weeks over the course of the latest dosage increase to start eating normally again. I probably went through a small bottle of APF. She also gets Jiaogulan twice a day. She isn't one to get dramatic relief from APF, but at least she kept eating about 80% of her daily hay.
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator