Selecting Treats / Dr. K's Horse Sense article

Bobbie Day

Hello Dr. Kellon
I read your article above with great interest as I am "One of those people" (shamefully). I have a question regarding some of your recommendations for substitutes if you don't mind?
I'm a little confused about this statement. "
To our senses they have all the appeal of driveway gravel but split dried green peas are relished by most horses.  I don't know how they can tell it's even something edible, but horses will readily snatch up the rock hard little green peas. Avoid dried beans though. They interfere with digestion unless cooked.
I am just confused about the statement that they need cooked. I thought I have read from many that they feed these dry and hard? Will the horses eat them if they are cooked?
Also, I purchased a few of your recommendations, I don't have them yet but is it safe to give our horses the Kudzu root and Rose hips?
I am very curious to see if my spoiled bunch will turn up their lips to these!
I just want to encourage members to subscribe to Dr. Kellon's articles, I keep them all for reference and I can't tell you how many times I have shared the information within them.

--
Bobbie and Desi (over the rainbow bridge 7/21)
Utah, Nov 2018

It's dried beans that need to be cooked, not peas. Rose Hips and Kudzu are fine.

Kandace Krause

In vegetarian cooking dried split peas are counted "high in iron" but what I could find  for levels is under 2 milligrams in a half cup.  What would a safe portion for a EMS horse be?
--
Kandace K
Rocky Mountains, Alberta, Oct 2020

Kirsten Rasmussen

Edited

Hi Kandace,

Whenever I'm wondering about horse feeds, I check out the Dairy One feed library:
https://www.dairyoneservices.com/feedcomposition/

For Peas,  select "Protein feeds, dry", then choose "670 - Peas, dry" from the "Kind" drop down list.  If you scroll down you'll see that 209 analyses/samples had iron contents ranging from 0-500 ppm, with an average of 152 ppm.  I usually use the average number because unless you analyze it yourself there's no way of know what it really is, and from there you can calculate how much iron you are adding to the diet.  152 ppm = 152 mg/kg.  So if you feed 1 kg peas, you are adding 152 mg of iron, on average.  This may affect your mineral balancing if you are feeding peas in high amounts/weights and you will need to increase copper and zinc accordingly.  I wouldn't worry about a handful for a treat.  Toxic concentrations of iron for horses are about 500 ppm in hay, but even if the peas are 500 ppm iron the amount you feed will never be as high as the amount of hay you feed.  Check out "413 - Beet pulp, dry" (Grains/Biproducts, dry) in the list and you'll see how much higher in iron it is.

Ps. You might notice peas are super high in starch, normally a big no-no for our IR horses, but the starch is indigestible.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR + PPID) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

I don't know that resistant starches are exactly indigestible in horses. In humans, it's a popular research subject and is called a resistant starch because of how it's digested in the human digestive tract due to its fiber content. Good information on the digestion of resistant starch in dried peas in equines isn't plentiful.

I did an analysis of split peas. https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/9c%20Analyses%20of%20Various%20Feeds/3.%20Split%20Peas/Split%20Peas%20Green%202014-04-09.pdf
What stands out isn't the iron as much as the starch at almost 39%. As a treat, I imagine a few dried peas wouldn't be terrible. I personally use low-risk treats.
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator

Kirsten Rasmussen

Hi Cass,

I was relying on pass posts by Dr Kellon about starch in peas being indigestible, like this one:
https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/148040
They have been often suggested as a protein source for IR horses in this forum.  But it seems they should be fed uncooked, otherwise the indigestible starch can become more digestible.
https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/search?p=Created%2C%2Cposterid%3A58231+%2Bpeas%2C20%2C2%2C0%2C0&q=posterid%3A58231+%2Bpeas+%2Bstarch