Topics

Shoe vs Barefoot

Jen Stern

Could someone point me to info on shoes vs. barefoot?  I’m considering transitioning my horse to barefoot, as she is currently recovering from some muscle injury, and once she is better will be retired from Dressage and become my trail horse.  She is NOT laminitic.  Looking for reliable info on how to transition her to barefoot and if she would benefit from it.
Thank you in advance! :)
--
Jen S. NY 2019

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jen%20and%20Deva

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Jen,

Here are some links to help you with your barefoot vs. shoes decision:

Paige Poss has a ton of anatomical information on her site:

http://www.ironfreehoof.com/natural-hoof-trimming.html

Pete Ramey  also has numerous articles and his book Care and Rehabilitation of the Equine Foot. Here's a link to the introduction from that book:

https://www.hoofrehab.com/moreinfo/RameyBookIntroduction.htm

The Equine Documentalist:

https://www.theequinedocumentalist.com/post/barefoot-vs-shod

The Equine Lameness Prevention Organization (ELPO) site is another helpful resource:

https://www.lamenessprevention.org/site_page.cfm?pk_association_webpage_menu=6601&pk_association_webpage=13311

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR