Should I test Monte?

Chris Pennbo

Hello,  I'm wondering if we should have Monte's levels tested again. He has lost weight in the past month- but we attributed it to a change in feed. (We took him off soaked Timothy Balance cubes and put him back on hay. I'm seeing cuds again so we put him back on soaked cubes)  He doesn't appear sore at all but he had two abscesses in his fronts late last winter. All three of our horses did develop a fungal skin infection about a month ago. (can that be related?) I've read through what I can find on this site and the website but am still unclear according to the parameters given. Monte is 28 and on 2 tabs Prascend daily.

Thanks for your help!
--
-Chris
May, 2019  Big Bear Lake, California

Hi Chris,

Could you please update your case history?  Right now it doesn't show that Monte is on medication at all nor what his ACTH level was at any point in time.  When was the last time he was tested and what was his ACTH at that point?  Did you increase his medication based on those test results?

Chris Pennbo

I did update his file a few months ago but I guess I didn't do it right! I'm having some computer issues right now but managed to pull this info off my phone:

Most recent test 4/20/21   ACTH  45,  Glucose  89,  Insulin 14      (prior to being diagnosed and put on prascend - 9/22/19 ACTH 77, Glucose 90, Insulin 16)

The vet recommended we increase to  1 1/2 tabs and we did but based on his symptoms/appearance after a few months (and multiple abscesses) we increased it to 2 tabs daily in July.

I will update his files as soon as I get my computer up and running. The reason I ask about testing is that our vet is coming this week but he will not be back again until spring-time so if we need levels I need to get them this week.  I don't THINK we do but there is much more experience here than I have and I wanted to have those who know more review it.

Thank you!
--
-Chris
May, 2019  Big Bear Lake, California
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Chris%20and%20Monte

Kirsten Rasmussen

Hi Chris,

Since your last test was in April and he has had a couple(?) dose increases since then, AND we are still in the seasonal rise....if he was mine I would have his ACTH checked now.  It would be very informative to know if his dose is high enough.   I believe checking 2x a year at a minimum is important for managing PPID.  Preferably in late July, then again in late Sept.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR + PPID) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History