Sloughing Pix Posted

Lorna Cane

I've posted 4 photos,in Photos.
https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/album?id=277531&p=Created%2C%2C%2C20%2C1%2C0%2C0

The first 2 are hard to look at . Drummer went through hell.He kept abscessing just as new growth was beginning to develop.The  recovery of the other 4 boys was text book. The next 2 are 2 different horses,after a couple of months of hooves regrowing.  New growth at top,old hoof below the crack.It eventually grew right down.The copper horse's old hoof came off in one piece.New growth was solid.
Trimming was frequent for all the boys.

--
Lorna in Eastern Ontario

Thank you so much for sharing these again Lorna.  I don't know that I would have had the fortitude to continue with multiple horses going through this at the same time.

Just out of curiosity - did you take pictures of Tod's hoof capsule after it came off?  *Or turn it into an ash tray? :-)*

Lorna Cane

Edited

I've added a couple more pix,referencing Drummer.The last pic is bittersweet.Boys are down,but faithful Doberman pup,Ben,never left their sides when I was there.All the time.
https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/album?id=277531&p=Created%2C%2C%2C20%2C1%2C0%2C0
--
Lorna in Eastern Ontario
2002

Lorna Cane

Sherry,I DID take pix,you can be sure. Haha.
Not sure where they got to. I saved the hoof walls for a bit,sitting them on window ledge in stable.

--
Lorna in Eastern Ontario
2002

ferne fedeli

Just amazing pictures, Lorna!  I just can't imagine going through what you did with so MANY horses.  You are a REAL TROOPER!!!  You must have felt so wonderful when they all got through it--or maybe you were too tired to tell!?!  Ha.
--

Ferne Fedeli  Magic & Jack   2007

Point Arena, Mendocino County, California
Case History

Nicolle Dupont

Lorna,

So I can be reasonably assurd that when the hoof wall comes off there should be some growth underneath.  Did you use those boots during that time?

We're they on antibiotics the whole time?
--
Nicolle D in BC Canada 2022
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Nicolle%20and%20Elsa

Bobbie Day

Lorna
Man, all I can say is amazing job and thanks for sharing.
Nancy and Vinnie also had a hard time, I can’t imagine four going through this, your an Angel.
I may have missed it but did you figure out what caused all this? Was it the laminitis caused by IR?

--

Bobbie and Maggie
Desi (over the rainbow bridge 7/21)

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Bobbie%20and%20Maggie

Lorna Cane

I can't imagine it now,either Ferne. I think I was just too damned scared to look sideways. My herd was 9 boys,whose job was hippotherapy,at which they were stars.
Five of them lost their hooves. I told the other four that anyone who was still standing had to look after himself. I'm being silly,of course,but they were outdoor horses to begin with ,so that helped.And aside from being PPID/IR they had no other issues.So that really helped a lot.
--
Lorna in Eastern Ontario
2002

Lorna Cane

Hi Nicolle,

The hoof grows down from the CB. So....this is my understanding.Help Lavinia!.....if there is not too much damage (I don't know what I mean by that) the wall continues to grow down,while the old hoof gets pushed further down,meaning the foot can't be allowed to get long.Frequent mini trims.Hoof grows about1/4" a month ,yes?
My farrier,who had never come across this before,read that by carving a groove(see photos) the new growth would be able to grow in ,without being obstructed by old hoof wall.I have no idea if there is anything to that,but 4 of those 5 boys recovered ,as the text books say the will.
Drummer had problems with abscesses.I don't know why.
I used the Davis Boots during that time.See photos. When Drummer's hooves became hooves again,although not sound,I went to other boots ,to deal with rehab feet.

I can check the journal(very thick)but it will take me some time. He was on a lot of supplements,many to do with the Se toxicity,trying to help getting rid of the high Se levels. Those horses should never have survived the levels of Se they had ingested over about a 4-5 week period,according to the literature.
The thing is that Elsa needs to be on what is right for her.We don't know what is causing this yet.

--
Lorna in Eastern Ontario
2002

Lorna Cane

Hi Bobbie,

It was Se toxicity. I had mixed my own supplements for ages,according to group protocol.But I had 9 horses and it was a chore.I was always envious of our American members who had easy access to supplement companies ,which provided mixes to balance to the hay.
Finally,a company up here agreed to do it for me.I was thrilled,as you can imagine.
But somehow they managed to add 25 times the required(and correct) Se to the mix ! It took several weeks for symptoms to show,and since we are far from soil containing  Se,diagnosis here  first included abscesses.When manes and tails began falling out bloodwork was ordered,and proved Se to be the culprit.
My then-vet was unfamiliar with Se toxicity,as were all the vets here,and ready to throw in the towel from the get-go.So I contacted Guelph myself,who put me in touch with a fabulous vet Out West ,in the US,who had dealt with Se toxicity a number of times. He and Dr. Kellon held us close and got us through.

--
Lorna in Eastern Ontario
2002

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer

Thought I would share a short pictoral of about a 3 year journey.  We had a metabolic laminitis that was quite mild I Italy,  but then with poor shoeing support and ongoing metabolic challenges the hoof wall slouched, the LF sank medially and prolapse.  So we have to decompress the hoof wall.  It has been a long journey of learning and navigating but worth it.  Vinnie has ringbone, bone loss of the p3 and the left over damage from the sinking but he is doing great. He was cleared to walk in tack about a month th ago, but we ha d a little shoeing set back where he was taken a little too short ans got sore. It is a delicate balance but so worth it.  I am pulling for you and Elsa, Nicole.  I know the exhaustion you speak of, but like the others say, take the tiny improvements as a win.

https://youtu.be/35rqof1qRww

https://youtu.be/H_929PgF50o

https://youtu.be/qs9eGG2Nav4

--
Nancy and Vinnie and Summer
Oakley, Ca

Summer

Bobbie Day

Vinnie is a rock star, he inspires me every time I see him. Lorna I guess your ordeal was before my time but man you girls just inspire me. Especially when I think of all the horses out there that are given up on when they are mild cases in comparison. A local girl was referred to me for advice and I reached out to her several times, I just learned she found her horse dead. It just breaks my heart. So I need what this group gives me, which is hope ❤️
--

Bobbie and Maggie
Desi (over the rainbow bridge 7/21)
Utah, Nov 2018
NRC Plus 2020, NAT, C&IR March 2021
ECIR Group Primary Response

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Bobbie%20and%20Maggie

Daisy Shepherd

how do i find photos. thanks, daisy, tiko
Daisy, Tiko and Whisper
CO, April 2019
Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Daisy%20and%20Tiko
Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=90099&p=Name,,,20,2,0,0

Lynn

Lorna! You are right - the images are difficult to look at, but what an incredible story. You are a champion and deserve a medal!  And you are a beacon of hope for the rest of us and an incredible resource for knowledge/experience in that area. I can't even begin to imagine what that was like for you and your boys. You were a warrior for them!

Same goes for you and Vinny Nancy!

Thanks for sharing.
--
Lynn
Beavercreek, Ohio

Daisy,
Here is the photo album:
https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/album?id=277531
The link to Lorna's photos is in the first message in this thread.
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator

Lorna Cane

Nicolle , a bit of good news!

I have had a brief conversation with Dr. Kellon, and she feels the material at the CB could well be an abscess exiting and not a slough !!
Still hurts a lot for Elsa, but let's hang on to that thought.

--
Lorna in Eastern Ontario
2002

Nicolle Dupont

Lorna, that would be nice..  Although this morning she has boot off and dragging CB through shavings and dirt.  The hip sores are.the worst though
--
Nicolle D in BC Canada 2022
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Nicolle%20and%20Elsa

Nicolle Dupont

The dressings I do for the hips only lasts hours and she is grinding the poor flesh into the shavings.  I have researched this  and there does not seem to be a solution.
--
Nicolle D in BC Canada 2022
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Nicolle%20and%20Elsa

Nicolle,

Shave/clip the hair from around the sore for at least six inches. Wash the sore with betadine scrub and flush. Dry and remove the oils from the skin by wiping with acetone (nail polish remover). Treat the sore with antibiotic cream, cover with gauze then cover that with masking tape or Gorilla  tape in an X pattern.

Nicolle Dupont