Soft Ride boots vs EasyCare Cloud Boots

Lesley Bludworth

Several people have commended on using Cloud Boots.   I ordered them but today my friend said the Soft Ride boots are
better for laminitis.  I do like how the bottom looks like it makes it easy for the horse to turn in any direction.  Its a gel pad verses
a foam pad.  Does anyone have experience with the Soft Ride therapeutic boot?
--
Lesley Bludworth 
Phoenix, AZ
Sophie Case History 7/2022
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/SophieB%20Case%20History

Lorna Cane

Hi Lesley,

Soft Rides are pretty popular here. I am just one of the many members who have been happy with them.

--
Lorna in Eastern Ontario

Lesley Bludworth

Lorna,
Thank you!  Okay great.   I guess, I thought it was the cloud boot I saw people mentioning.  I ordered the clouds but I like the idea of the gel insert.  Do you use the turquoise insert or the purple or the specialty gel insert?

From: main@ECIR.groups.io <main@ECIR.groups.io> on behalf of Lorna Cane <windybriars@...>
Sent: Monday, August 1, 2022 6:41 PM
To: main@ECIR.groups.io <main@ECIR.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ECIR] Soft Ride boots vs EasyCare Cloud Boots

Hi Lesley,

Soft Rides are pretty popular here. I am just one of the many members who have been happy with them.

--
Lorna in Eastern Ontario

--
Lesley Bludworth 
Phoenix, AZ

Lorna Cane

Clouds are popular,too,Lesley. It depends on what stage of rehab a horse is at, and living conditions, I think.
I used the turquoise inserts for my situation.

--
Lorna in Eastern Ontario

Lesley Bludworth

Sophie is not walking, her R front looks like its bulging.  What stage would that be?  The Softride or Cloud?

From: main@ECIR.groups.io <main@ECIR.groups.io> on behalf of Lorna Cane <windybriars@...>
Sent: Monday, August 1, 2022 7:06 PM

Clouds are popular,too,Lesley. It depends on what stage of rehab a horse is at, and living conditions, I think.
I used the turquoise inserts for my situation.

--
Lorna in Eastern Ontario

--
Lesley Bludworth 
Phoenix, AZ

Lorna Cane

I'm sorry,Lesley, we need someone familiar with the Clouds to speak on this.
But if our mods here have recommended the Cloud boots, they would be the way to go.
I  think you were expecting them today?

--
Lorna in Eastern Ontario

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Edited

Hi Lesley,

If her sole is bulging she shouldn't be walking at all as that may mean she is rotating and/or sinking. The Easycare Cloud boots would be simpler to cut out some sole relief in the pad under the bulging area and the pads will squish down to mold more to the rest of the bottom of her feet. Make sure to use medicated foot powder, like Gold Bond or the generic brands, liberally on the bottoms of her feet to help keep them drier and to keep the greeblies in check.

The Soft Ride inserts are a much denser, elastomeric gel material. The pad is wedge-shaped, which is not what you want unless the bony column is in a broken back HPA situation - the opposite of bony rotation. If you use the Soft Rides, you will need to cut the pad so that it is flat. The pad also has a raised frog support, which many horses do not appreciate as it puts constant pressure on their frogs. That can also be cut off, if needed.

Is she getting her Metformin dose twice daily?

Would you be able to get a set of hoof photos posted so we can see what is going on and how her trim is?

--
Lavinia, George Too, Calvin (PPID) and Dinky (PPID/IR)
Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

Lesley Bludworth

yes, They came today.  No one really recommended them, I think I just read someone had them on their horse, and I am familiar with EasyCare
since she has glove boots for riding.

Sent: Monday, August 1, 2022 8:05 PM

I'm sorry,Lesley, we need someone familiar with the Clouds to speak on this.
But if our mods here have recommended the Cloud boots, they would be the way to go.
I  think you were expecting them today?

--
Lorna in Eastern Ontario

--
Lesley Bludworth 
Phoenix, AZ

Lesley Bludworth

I am not trying to walk her, I just made a statement to describe what her comfort level is.  
I was hoping she would lay down on the shavings but hopefully she will tonight.
The xray showed sinking.  She is symptomatically worse than when she had the x ray however.
I ground all the metformin up and put it in with 2 cups ground Stabu pellets hoping she would eat it.  She is not really eating at the moment so no, she is not getting the metformin.  I need to get more so it can be syringed. straight.  

So the THR test would not be useful at this time due to questionable results due to seasonal changes?
And we should wait?

We started the pergolide today.  Would it be diagnostic for PPID if the pergolide helps the insulin levels and 
foot pain?  The vet suggested it would.

From: main@ECIR.groups.io <main@ECIR.groups.io> on behalf of Lavinia Fiscaletti <shilohmom@...>
Sent: Monday, August 1, 2022 8:07 PM

Hi Lesley,

If her sole is bulging she shouldn't be walking at all as that may mean she is rotating and/or sinking. The Easycare Cloud boots would be simpler to cut out some sole relief in the pad under the bulging area and the pads will squish down to mold more to the rest of the bottom of her feet. Make sure to use medicated foot powder, like Gold Bond or the generic brands, liberally on the bottoms of her feet to help keep them drier and to keep the greeblies in check.

The Soft Ride inserts are a much denser, elastomeric gel material. The pad is wedge-shaped, which is not what you want unless the bony column is in a broken back HPA situation - the opposite of bony rotation.

Is she getting her Metformin dose twice daily?

--
Lavinia, George Too, Calvin (PPID) and Dinky (PPID/IR)
Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

--
Lesley Bludworth 
Phoenix, AZ

Ed Allen

Does anyone have a suggestion for a soft boot that will fit a Gypsy Vanner?  So far, everything is too small for my big boy.  My husband cut out soft pads that we are taping on, but this is really difficult.  I sent the sizing to Scoot and they can't fit him either.

Measurements    Left wide  168mm   Left Length 146mm  
                            Right wide 171.5mm  Right length  152.4mm

I have riding Easy Boots but they are worse putting on and taking off than taping on pads.  And they are heavy.  If I used them for weights I would have arms like Natalie Portman in Thor/Love and Thunder.  Not really a bad thing.  Nice guns as they say.

Jocelyn  Montana  2022

--
Jocelyn Allen

Bozeman, Montana

July 17, 2022

Kirsten Rasmussen

Jocelyn,

For draft sizing you could try Cavallo Bigfoot Boots:
https://cavallo-inc.com/product/big-foot-hoof-boots-draft-size-horse/

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR + PPID) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada
ECIR Group Moderator

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Kirsten Rasmussen

So the THR test would not be useful at this time due to questionable results due to seasonal changes?
And we should wait?

We started the pergolide today.  Would it be diagnostic for PPID if the pergolide helps the insulin levels and 
The TRH test is not reliable at this time of year.  Whether Prascend lowers her insulin will be impossible to separate from the effects of all the other things you are doing, however, Prascend will not harm her even if she doesn't have PPID.  You can put her on Prascend for the fall to be safe, stop it in January, wait 3 weeks, then do a TRH test.

--
Kitimat, BC, Canada
ECIR Group Moderator

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Lesley Bludworth

Kristen,
Thank you!  Good to start to understand.    I suspect she has early PPID due to having "abscesses" the last 2 or 3 years in September and then again this December after a cold hard rain.  And now this horrible laminitis.
The cold further limits blood flow to foot? 
 is that why the winter is hard on them or is there something else about winter?

From: main@ECIR.groups.io <main@ECIR.groups.io> on behalf of Kirsten Rasmussen <kirstenrasmussen3@...>
Sent: Tuesday, August 2, 2022 9:41 AM

And we should wait?

The TRH test is not reliable at this time of year.  Whether Prascend lowers her insulin will be impossible to separate from the effects of all the other things you are doing, however, Prascend will not harm her even if she doesn't have PPID.  You can put her on Prascend for the fall to be safe, stop it in January, wait 3 weeks, then do a TRH test.

--
Kitimat, BC, Canada
ECIR Group Moderator

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

--
Lesley Bludworth 
Phoenix, AZ

Sherry Morse

Lesley,

Her bloodwork doesn't indicate PPID unless she's in the early stages.  It does indicate she has IR and probably has had it for quite a while. Winter laminitis is an indication of IR, not PPID. 

Kirsten Rasmussen

Hi Lesley,

Cold can reduce blood flow if circulation is compromised, which is typical of uncontrolled IR or chronic IR.  This is what we call "winter laminitis".  Jiaogulan and keeping hooves warm with boots and wool socks etc can help improve circulation and reduce the pain from vasoconstriction.  Not all EMS/IR horses have this problem but it should be suspected if there is winter hoof pain.  Insulin is NOT elevated in these cases.

Cold weather also increases insulin, so in a poorly controlled IR horse that temp related increase could be enough to make them actually laminitic.  That's why we ask for temp in the Case History when bloodwork is done.  Anything below 50F could be affecting the insulin result.  If cold temps are causing insulin to go up to acutely laminitic levels, then Metformin and diet changes can help bring it down (ie start soaking hay if it was previously fed unsoaked).

The fall abscessing could have other root causes but I believe Dr Kellon recommended putting her on pergolide this year to be safe, then stopping it in January and doing a TRH Stim test 3+ weeks later.

--
Kitimat, BC, Canada
ECIR Group Moderator

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Lesley Bludworth

Edited

Thank you Kirsten,,
Great to know.
I have leg warmers for my previous horse and will be using them on her.
The temperatures in Payson go into the 40s at night in late September and that is when they developed, right before I u would bring her home to 100+ days again.
I got the cloud boots on her now and will be bringing her home this weekend.
Metformin being syringed 2 x a day and omeprazole on board.
Waiting for phytoquench and APF.
She is not eating the tc timothy balance cues well.
I gave her soaked hay this morning and she started to really eat it well.
Make me nervous that its to sweet!  Wassoaked an hour and rinsed tho

--
Lesley Bludworth 
Phoenix, AZ

Lesley,
Sophie may just be happy to have hay if that's what she's used to eating. Horses in pain don't like trying new feeds.  Do you have a big supply of the hay? If so, I want  you to know that you don't have to guess if soaking makes the hay safe - tho it usually does. You can soak your usual way using hay from inside of several bales, dry a few big handfuls in the shade (I use a lingerie laundry bag), and send the sample to Equi-Analytical to analyze ESC and Starch. If the results show safe ESC+Starch, well below 10% in a laminitic horse, and safe Starch which is <4%, you may feed soaked hay long term. You can call EA right back to ask for the rest of the 603 analysis on that sample. Then you'll have a hay test to use for balancing. It's not perfect sampling technique, but it's better than guessing.
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator
Cayuse and Diamond Case History Folder                
Cayuse Photos                Diamond Photos