Soft Stool-Dr. Kellon

Angie

After months of trying numerous things to determine why my PPID horse has soft stools, the vet said it could be the Prascend.  He is healthy in every way, doing very well, Just has soft heavy wet stools.  I have considered taking him off his 1/2 mg Prascend to see if that is indeed the problem but would wait until March or April.  But how long would he have to be off the medication to see any improvement?  I don't want him off his meds for long. If it turns out, it is the Prascend I think it's something we'll just have to learn to live with.
--
Angie
October 2020, Mendocino County, CA

Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Angie%20and%20Jacob
Jacob's Photo Album:

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer

HI Angie,

Just a thought?   Have you considered switching to compounded pergolide to see if the symtom goes away?

I was having some really unexplained issues when my horses were on Prascend, and as soon as I moved the horses over to compounded pergolide the issues stopped.

I am not sure if it was an inert ingredient or what that my mare especially was sensitive to, but the issues resolved once switching to CP.

Also. both of my horses have done great on CP managing their PPID.

Thanks Nancy

--
Nancy and Vinnie and Summer
Oakley, Ca

Summer

Kirsten Rasmussen

Compounded pergolide and Prascend can both affect the gut, which also affects stools.
https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/262778
In my horse's case each dose increase has resulted in worsening free fecal water.  What has helped him is increasing pre-biotic fiber and easily digestible foods, like beet pulp, soaked ODTBC and a pelleted feed marketed here in Canada for horses with EMS.  Psyllium also helped but was much too expensive feed daily.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR + PPID) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Angie

My horse didn't have this problem when he was started on Prascend or when we reduced him to 1/2 mg. It started a few months later. It continued despite 6 weeks of psyllium and then 6 weeks of TC Timothy Balance Cubes only.  He's never had fecal water syndrome. Just a heavy soft mounded poo. When I pick it up, there's a wet spot underneath.  His bum is always clean. We tried pro-biotics but that gave him full on diarrhea.