Source for small bales of hay in south central area of Wisconsin

a.k.a.petpalace2@...

Wondering if anyone knows where I can purchase safe hay for Apollo.  Not getting reply from commercial hay grower I had hoped to buy hay from regarding when new crop will be available.  Only have 12 bales of hay left and already supplementing with TC timothy balance cubes.  Thinking about adding non-molasses beet pulp to help stretch further.
--
Karen B.
Wisconsin

Mialisa@...

Hi Karen,
I have used Craigslist (city, county) for my area in Sheboygan county. I have found hay nearly every time closer to home, sometimes I had to drive 40 mins. I know people use facebook too, but I have not used that resource yet.
I hope this helps.

--
Rene` in WI 2021
CaseHistory@ECIR.groups.io | Album

a.k.a.petpalace2@...

Hi Rene,
Thanks.  I started searching on Craigslist.  Small square bales of pure grass hay less common than grass/alfalfa and grass/clover mix.  So far only very mature, headed out first crop grass hay available but will keep trying.
Haven't seen any hay listed that's been tested. Given one can't tell much about sugar/starch content by just looking, how do you handle issue of hay testing with sellers?
--
Karen B.
Wisconsin
2022
Apollo Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Karen%20and%20Apollo
Photo album:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=275817

Sunkawakan

I live in rural Watertown. I know the various folks who make hay in the vicinity because I drove up their driveways and knocked on their doors! Since Tuck’s EMS diagnosis, of necessity I have learned to be more discerning. That entailed a hay probe purchase, learning how to use it properly & cultivating a relationship with the folks at EquiAnalytical labs. Every grower I have asked has allowed me to sample their hay. I provide them with a copy of the results-at my expense, of course. I have had to decline to purchase some & move on to others based on results. I always offer an explanation. I am gregarious by nature so this is easy for me to do! What will you accept as “safe”? I still soak year round, because around here, my sources with the lowest NSC values are right at/around 10…

--
*Kim F
* WI

fullcirclefarmhorses@...

Hi Karen,
I am in SE WI.  A friend who lives in Richfield has small bales that tested around 7%.  I can ask if she has any left.  They are quite small though, only around 26 pounds, but it is beautiful, safe hay.  If there is a way you can feed round bales, I have another source of safe hay.  I don't know how practical it would be for you to drive a distance, but if you are interested I can reach out to both.

Oh, I just thought of another source of small bales, but his hay has not been tested this year.   I could reach out to him and get the ball rolling to test it.
--
Heather W in WI 2022
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Heather%20and%20Ava

a.k.a.petpalace2@...

Hi Heather,
Thanks so much for info.  Don't have a way to feed round bales but even some "quite small" bales would be okay as long as straight grass.  Richfield is only about 1 hour away and our horse trailer can hold between 75-100 bales depending upon size.  Regarding your second hay source, I'd be willing to help pay for testing if needed, provided they would guarantee holding hay until test results come back.

I did hear back from commercial hay grower. First crop hay test results are pending but he said usually second and third crop lowest in sugar/starch.  Their lab only does wet chemistry analysis but use NSC not ESC however most of their hay is < 10% NSC, so still would be okay.  Grower has very good reviews.  Both hay and soil analysis posted on their website.  Owner welcomed info about ECIR and safergrass.org.

I really appreciate your willingness to help find hay for Apollo.  Certainly will be a load off my mind knowing I won't have to rely on expensive timothy balance cubes.
--
Karen B.
Wisconsin
2022
Apollo Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Karen%20and%20Apollo
Photo album:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=275817

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

(Very) long story short, less than 10% NSC  would be appropriate although some horses may still need it soaked. Wet chemistry is what we want. Sounds like you have a very good option here.  Forget about safergrass.org.  Their information is still focused on fructans. If we can help this proactive grower in any way, let us know.

a.k.a.petpalace2@...

Thanks for info.  I didn't realize about fructans issue with safergrass.org.  He seems to understand what he needs to do to get quality low S/S hay i.e. take care of soil, cut early in morning and let hay lay in field longer.  I know he even asked lab he uses about getting ESC tested because I called this lab myself to ask questions and they told me.  Unfortunately, no one knew if they could do it or even if could send out for ESC.  I did give grower info on equi-analytical and told him it's probably only lab doing wet chemistry ESC.  Also a plus is low iron levels in his hay which leads me to believe he makes hay with little soil contamination.  He's even doing a trial crop of teff hay this year and aware if teff grass doesn't get enough water or is not probably fertilized, it can be quite high in S/S.  Also mentioned I've read teff hay contains oxalates which can affect mineral balancing.  What's ECIR's opinion on teff grass?
--
Karen B.
Wisconsin
2022
Apollo Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Karen%20and%20Apollo
Photo album:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=275817

hmfox77@...

Hi Karen,
It sounds like you are in contact with Groeschl Ag.  I just wanted to chime in and say that I've been getting my hay from them for the past 2 years and they are awesome. The hay is beautiful and Andy and Jeff are wonderful to work with! I couldn't recommend them more!

--
Heather F
Minnesota

Case History
Photo Album

Kettle Gal

Hi Karen.  Thank you for this information.  I am in SE Wisconsin (Kewaskum) and looking for a supplier, too. One local farmer let me test his hay last week.  Still awaiting results.  However, I just read a post somewhere indicating that hay needs to be fully cured before testing.  This makes me think my sampling will not he accurate, as we probed less than a week after baling.  Does anyone know if my timing will affect sugar and starch analysis?

Also, do you mind sharing the contact info for this commercial supplier that you are working with?

Thank you, in advance.

Julie

--
Julie K. Wisconsin
2022

fullcirclefarmhorses@...

Hi Karen,
I reached out to my friend and unfortunately all her hay is sold.  They will be cutting a second time though, but  I’m not sure if she will test it again or not.  I can reach out to the other person I know with small bales.  I don’t need to buy any of his hay, but I can take my probe over there and get samples for you.  I can mail for you too, if you want to give me the info needed on the form.  I’m thinking you could call there with a credit card number to pay.  Just let me know!
--
Heather W in WI 2022
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Heather%20and%20Ava

fullcirclefarmhorses@...

Hi Julie,
I know a super nice guy who sells hay in Wayne that would let you test, but he has large bales.  Do you have a way to handle large bales?
--
Heather W in WI 2022
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Heather%20and%20Ava

a.k.a.petpalace2@...

Hi Heather,
You are right, it is Groeschl Ag Services.  I've been working with Andy.  So glad to hear you highly recommend them.  I came across their website doing an internet search for low S/S hay.
--
Karen B.
Wisconsin
2022
Apollo Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Karen%20and%20Apollo
Photo album:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=275817

a.k.a.petpalace2@...

Hi Julie,
The grower is Groeschl Ag Services in Hayward, Wisconsin.  If you use that info for your internet search, you'll reach their website with all their contact info.  At this time of year, they prefer emails rather than phone calls and it may take a day or two to get back to you.  Tried to buy hay from them last fall, but they'd already sold entire 2021 crop.  When I called back this spring, I was put on a waiting list for this year's crop.

We also checked out a commercial grower in Illinois but all their tested grass hay had at least a small amount alfalfa so passed on it but hay looked really good.  Not sure if grass mix hay would be suitable for your horse.

Regarding when to test hay after harvesting, I've read it's best to wait 3-4 weeks when it's stored inside because moisture content will change as it cures and round bales stored outside, you test just before you intend to feed it.  I know how long hay dries in field before baling affects S/S content but don't think it would change once baled.  Maybe lab that does hay testing could give you more definite answers.
--
Karen B.
Wisconsin
2022
Apollo Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Karen%20and%20Apollo
Photo album:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=275817

a.k.a.petpalace2@...

Dr. Kellon,
Just got copies of hay analysis from commercial grower.  Used same lab (Holmes Laboratory in Ohio) as previous years but reports now include sugar as both ESC and WSC values and reports NSC = starch + sugar (ESC). I'm confused because I thought NSC = WSC + starch. So can a lab just make up their own definition for NSC as long as they specific "sugar" as ESC or WSC?  Also has nitrate test as "negative" but aren't there always some nitrates in hay?  I know ESC + starch level is not safe for IR horse so I will need to wait for second crop hay analysis.  Here are actual values from 1st crop orchard grass hay analysis report:

Sugar (ESC) % 8.90 as sampled / 10.28 dry matter basis
Starch % 3.40 as sampled / 3.93 dry matter basis
NSC = Starch + Sugar (ESC) % 12.31 as sampled / 14.21 dry matter basis
Sugar (WSC) % 11.51 as sampled / 13.29 dry matter basis
NFC (Non-Fiber Carbohydrate) % 23.08 as sampled / 26.65 dry matter basis
Nitrate (NO3) % Negative

--
Karen B.
Wisconsin
2022
Apollo Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Karen%20and%20Apollo
Photo album:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=275817

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

You are correct. NSC = WSC + starch. WSC = ESC + fructans. Fructans are not an issue. It's ESC + starch we need to look at because those are the two that can cause an insulin spike. Your numbers are too high.