Sourcing of Devil’s Claw? (Phyto-Quench pelleted is backordered)

Hi group—

Can anyone recommend a source for Devil’s Claw?  One suitable for easy titration of dose for horse still very painful from recent severe laminitis (I posted yesterday on horse)?

Uckele says Phyto-Quench pellets will start shipping week of 3/22 but Im hoping to find a Dev Claw source sooner, and add in granular Phyto-Quench, until the pelleted arrives.

Any suggestions?  Cursory search yields some difficulty is finding a pure Dev Claw without add’l gunk added.

Many thx,
Kerry in NY
Pinky IR/PPID
Tofurky IR/poss PPID(?)
sept 2014

Lorna Cane

Here Kerry.........

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=devil%27s+claw&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

--

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario

Aww yes!  Thank you, Lorna!  I didn’t realize humans also took Devil’s Claw!  I’ll see if health food stores have it locally — thank you so much!

kerry
ny 2014

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Try Hemp Joint (hemp plus DC) https://uckele.com/hemp-joint-support-2lb-bag.html . Also eligible for the 5% ECIR  coupon code discount. You can double or triple the dose if needed.

Thank you Dr Kellon — can the Hemp Joint (Hemp Plus DC) be fed concurrent to Phyto-Quench and/or Devil’s Claw?  Or, given in place, of?

Thanks!
Kerry in ny
sept 2014

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

You can feed with the regular Phyto-Quench but the Hemp Joint contains Devil's Claw so no need to add that.

Fantastic, thank you very much.  Is the 2g Devil’s Claw in the Hemp product the standard high and/or starting dose, to give a horse still very painful?  I can source Dev Claw separately until Uck Hemp arrives.  Just don’t know Dev claw dose sched (ive never used it — my prev laminitic mare was never this bad).  Gelding currently doing ok on 400mg flunixin po BID; im slowly weaning down, he’s def better on it than off at this point.

I was going to email abt doing a priv consult on this horse but if you’re willing to respond here i’d be super appreciative & it’d save a day or more in getting geld off nsaids, he’s already been on 3+ weeks.  Im at my new farm with no wifi, just my phone, and its limitations,

thx so much, as always,
kerry in ny
sept 14

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

The 2000 to 2500 mg is a typical starting dose for this extract.  For whole root powder try 8000 to 10000 mg to start.

Marie

Can I use a whole dryed devil claw or powder only? 8000-10000mg to start twice a day? Can it to use continuously? What is the maximum amount per day?

--
Marie Volsicka
Mid Europe

Yes, you can. All herbals have a wide range of dosages depending on whether standardized or not and if not it will vary widely. Ten grams is a good place to start.