Topics

Soybean hull pellets

Anette

Hello, I can't find it now but I thought I read here that soybean hulls were a source of protein and helped with weight gain. Is this correct? If so how much should be fed? I found soybean hull pellets and they are only the hulls compressed ,nothing added.
--
Anette P and Jaywalker
Boomer, NC

Lorna

Edited

Hi Anette,

Are you asking for Jaywalker?
I wanted to check out his CH to get an idea of his situation. I can't really get a picture because dates are missing. And I don't know when you updated last.
My first reaction,though, is that 5 lbs of hay ,plus a pound or so of added items is not enough for a 15hh horse. So, is he maybe on pasture still,all year?
Do you happen to have any test results since last year?
If you could fill in all the blanks you are able to,it would be good.

But,to your question,soyhull pellets have about the same profile as beet pulp, so can be good for weight gain if fed in larger amounts than just to hide supplements.
Equi-analytical has feed analysis info on its site. It says average protein is 13%. I had thought it was lower.It also says beet pulp protein is 9%. The difference surprised me.
Note to self.

--

Lorna  in Kingston, Ontario, Canada
ECIR Moderator

Anette

Yes I am referring to Jaywalker, I updated his CH last month,or tried to. Sounds like I wasn't successful. He is still on pasture all year,he doesn't eat hay in the summer when turned out but does eat hay when stalled at night ,about 3-4 flakes. His latest results are ACTH 32.9 pg/ml  insulin 10.65ulU/ml. Last year the ACTH was 50.0 pg/ml and insulin baseline was 15.10 ulU/ml so ACTH went down but insulin went up,is that ok?