Soybean Hulls availability

a.k.a.petpalace2@...

I've been looking for source of soybean hulls/pellets to use as mash for Apollo to give his Metformin.  I live in a rural area with lots of dairy cattle, corn and soybean fields and didn't think this would be difficult.  I called 4 different places inquiring about soybean hulls/pellets for a horse and got very different responses.  Some information was very concerning.

1.  Local feed mill:  they carry soybean hulls but wouldn't recommend it for horses as it may contain some additives that are harmful to horses

2. Another feed mill about 15 miles away:  no one answered so left message but did not receive call back

3. Local private feed dealer that carries specialty feeds:  said soybean hulls not available.  In very short supply due to high cost of cattle feed, dairy/beef producers are using soybean hulls now.  He expressed concern about chemicals sprayed on soybeans (e.g. fungicides) being harmful to horses

4.  Feed mill 30 miles away:  they carry bulk soybean hulls (sometimes pellets) and he wasn't aware of any issues feeding to horses but said they sell mostly to people owning sheep.

Are there any issues with feeding soybean hulls to horses if it comes from feed mills that sell cattle feed?  I know there were issues in past with cross-contamination of horse feed with cow feed supplements that were toxic to horses.  Any other recommendations of where to buy soybean hulls?
--
Karen B.
Wisconsin

celestinefarm

Karen,
You only want soybean hull pellets because plain hulls are light, fluffy, and will blow away. (Think the skins on peanuts for example). Soybean hull pellets are created at a processor who then sells them to feed mills. I am unaware of any chemicals sprayed on them, such as fungicides. You don't feed fungicides to cattle either. Nor do you feed unprocessed soybeans.

I've found them to be more difficult to find than you would think when you live in a rural area, but  it may be because soy hulls are used in many types of equine, cattle, and sheep feed and make a decent substitute for a portion of dairy and beef cattle feed.  Most hay replacer pellets for equines have soy hulls in them. Even the approved feeds here such as Stabul 1 have soy hulls in them. Stabul 1's ingredient list.

Ingredients

Soybean Hulls, Dried Beet Pulp, Flaxseed, Soybean Meal, Corn Distillers Dried Grains with Solubles, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Wheat Middlings, Calcium Carbonate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Yeast Culture, Lignin Sulfonate, Salt, DL-Methionine, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Biotin, Folic Acid, Choline Chloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Magnesium Oxide, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Copper Amino Acid Complex, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Cobalt Glucoheptonate, Calcium Iodate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Natural & Artificial Flavors, Rosemary Extract, Natural Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid (preservatives).

The thirty mile away mill sounds like they know what you want. You are looking for soy hull pellets, with nothing added. I am unaware of any online resellers of soy hull pellets, when I was feeding them I had a three hour round trip to buy them.

Here is the mill I bought mine from, it's a huge facility that makes their own feeds and offers all these "byproducts". This is the current price sheet for both soy hulls and pellets. If you can find a similar facility if the 30 mile away one doesn't pan out, they should have pellets. Soybeans are currently being harvested, and should be available now.

 By-Products - Republic Mills

MergedFile (republicmills.com)

--
Dawn Wagstaff and Tipperary

Saline, MI  2003

Tipperary Case History

I did what was meant to be a quick check to see if anyone ships soy hull pellets.  I found Feeds for Less which does that.  In order to have it shipped, you need to purchase a minimum of four 50# bags, which came to $64.60 but the shipping of those four bags to me in Vermont is $149.64, bringing the total to $52.85 per bag.  That isn’t appreciatively more than other feeds I purchase so I would probably buy them if I thought I needed soy hull pellets to feed.  If you decide to check on shipping to your own locale, be prepared to let your computer’s busy wheel to spin for a bit.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo