Speaking of Hulls -- Hemp Hulls

Nancy C

Edited

I'm on stand by to help field questions  to ECIR reps Jodie and Pamela from the PHCP conference going on right now.   Putting this here because others may wish to know.

First one is Can hemp hulls be used like soy hulls?  I am stumbling trying to find solid info.

I sent info from our archives about Stances Hemp Hulls and Hearts “grain” which looks to be essentially de-hulled hemp with left over seed included as a standard of the process. https://stanceequitec.com.au/product/hemp-hulls-and-hearts

What are Hemp Hulls and Hearts?
Hemp hulls are the shell of the hemp heart/seed that remains after the seed has been extracted. During the de-hulling process a certain percent  (approx. 20%) of the seed remains, resulting in this blended Hemp Hulls and Hearts product. They are an excellent source of fibre and amino acids, and provide the essential fatty acids omega 3 and 6.
**********
Can I assume the omegas are the same as full seed or meal or de-hulled seed? about a 3:1 ratio of omega-6 to omega-3
And would also contain phytate (inhibits calcium absorption)?

Would all “Hemp Hulls” product have these left over “hearts"?

To stay on topic, we've stated here that Hemp is not good for PPID horses. Would you confirm I have this right and how Hemp Hulls fit in this scenario?

Thank you.
--
Nancy C in NH
ECIR Moderator 2003

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

These sound like wheat midds.The exact analysis is going to vary from batch to batch by quite a bit.The hulls alone would be fine but they are "contaminated" by seed, ? whole or pressed. The omega-6:3 profile is not appropriate for horses. I'd pass on this.

P.S.  If they wanted to just isolate hulls, like lupin or soy hulls, they could. The technology is there. This product is an attempt to grab the last $$$ from the hemp seeds.

Nancy C

Thanks very much....would you just clear up my confusion about hemp in general and PPID? No go? or?

They are having a good time at the Conference.
--
Nancy C in NH
ECIR Moderator 2003
ECIR Group Inc. President 2021-2022

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Oil is a no go. Hemp seed cake/meal after oil extraction is OK as a supplementary protein source. I would avoid the hulls plus hearts because the oil component is a no go.