Started Emergency Diet with Splenda & June - need guidance please

Adibrito

First time posting ...
I'm very recently diving into holistic equine nutrition and have a desire to heal and prevent anything possible with the right diet, movement, etc for our horses. As a functional medicine health coach (for people), it was only natural for me to start thinking - wouldn't horses benefit from eating the right things and heal with the right nutrition, movement, therapies, etc.

We have recently started the Emergency Diet with two mares - Splenda and June (both 18yo)
We are using the soaked Timothy forage balancer cubes because we are currently out of hay and following the ED recommendations for vitamins/minerals

Splenda is overweight/obese, has inflammation, and has ringbone and scratches - we work with her in the round pen and she is pleasure ridden at least a couple times each week. She can be pretty grumpy and is a former lesson horse.

June is overweight, prone to laminitis, has inflammation, a cresty neck, a swollen and painful fetlock (to the point of keeping weight off of it at times and not wanting to go out of her stall), is overweight and in pretty consistent pain so exercise is not possible at this time

Wednesday last week, we started the Emergency Diet with both of them. They were previously on pasture with grazing muzzles during the day. Of course, on pasture, nothing was improving and in fact, only getting worse - but we didn't know until we knew. They were also fed grain twice a day.

After less than a week on the Emergency Diet, we notice the following improvements: *we will weigh again at weekly increments
Splenda:
Looks slimmer, swollen glands seems a bit smaller, seems happier, seems content, scratches are improved because she's on a dry lot
June:
Fetlock is visibly smaller, not puffy and she doesn't seem to have any pain there, cresty neck seems to be softer and maybe even smaller, she doesn't seem as "touchy" (it is very regular for her to shy away from her face being touched, almost like she was blind or something - she isn't)

I could really use some help from you experienced, generous people.
I have so many questions - we kind of just jumped in and went for it with the Emergency Diet. And by the way, phew that's a lot more work than dumping a bit of grain in a feed bucket a couple times a day! Every day I think of something that might streamline this process a little bit more. So any tips you'd like to share in that regard would be greatly appreciated.
Questions:
I know we are looking for obvious symptoms to alleviate or disappear - like the painful fetlock, cresty neck, etc. but I'm wondering if there's anything else we should be on the lookout for?
Could June's cresty neck completely heal or is that impossible?
Will these girls ever be able to be on pasture again or is that unlikely?
Both of these girls currently have shoes on their front feet. Splenda because of the ringbone and June's front feet are splayed like a duck's bill. Will it ever be possible for them to be barefoot or is that even advised?
How do we know when to transition from the Emergency Diet to a simple forage based protocol?
*For reference, we are waiting to bale some hay so we do not have hay analysis atm. We will have hay tested once it's in our barn so we can dial in the nutrition properly.

This is a lot of information and I feel so green and needy. Thank you for your time and consideration - I know monitoring these threads and answering questions and meeting needs is not a paid position for any of you. And if I'm posting incorrectly here, please forgive my ignorance - happy to correct anything that needs it. I appreciate you wholeheartedly.

--
Angela D in TN 2022

Cindy Q

Hello Angela

Welcome to the group!

If you are using only the Triple Crown Timothy Balance Forage Cubes (I assume you meant this and not the TC BalanceR), you do not need to add minerals as that particular product is already balanced for minerals and the analysis is guaranteed. You do still need to feed the vitamin E, salt and a small amount of flax. You only need to add enough water to the cubes in advance to soften them so they break up. There is no need to soak them in excess water and drain them like you would untested hay as they are also below 10% ESC and starch.
If you are feeding only the Balance Cubes, you are actually feeding a mineral balanced hay (in the form of cubes) instead of the emergency diet.

Have any of these mares been tested before for IR or PPID? You didn't mention their age. I'll be sharing with you our official welcome letter below. There's a lot of information there for you including Diagnosis and blood tests you can run to check if the mares are IR or PPID. These details should go into your case history.

You can get trim advice from our resident hoof advisor Lavinia if you make a photo album, take hoof photos (we have specific recommended views and tips on how to take good ones
https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/wiki/1482#Photos-and-Hoof-Evaluation-Help) and upload them. If you have xrays they can also be uploaded to your album. One advantage of the horses not being shod is having excess to their feet for regular trims and adjustments, however many compromised horses would need boots and pads for comfort in the interim at least. It would be hard to comment anything specific without good hoof photos and even xrays.

Here is the welcome letter. Take your time to go through all the the sections and let us know if you have questions.

  • low carb (less than 10% sugar+starch)
  • low fat (4% or less)
  • mineral balanced

Cindy and Glow (over the rainbow bridge) - Sep 2017, Singapore
ECIR Primary Response

Adibrito

Thanks so much, Cindy!
We are currently only using the TC Timothy Balance Forage Cubes because we are out of hay and about to cut some fields - so our hay is about 6 weeks out. We will do a hay analysis at that point. I was thinking the Balance Forage Cubes would be a good replacement for the hay - but if there's a better option, I'm all ears.

We are also using soaked and rinsed beet pulp - is that unnecessary?

In fact, we are transitioning our entire herd (3 additional horses with no evident metabolic issues - pasture grazing all day and night) from grain twice a day to a small bit of soaked cubes, beet pulp and added Vit E, ground flaxseed, salt and magnesium) and already noticing decreased inflammation and nicer coats. But now that I understand the cubes already contain magnesium, I'll drop that for all.

No testing has been done on the mares - they are each 19 years old. I'd like to do testing in the near future, but it's not my call since they aren't my horses.

I appreciate your help and will join the case history sub-group and start a Case History for each as soon as I can. So glad I found this group!

--
Angela D in TN 2022

Sherry Morse

Hello Angela,

As you don't own either of the horses you mentioned please make sure you read our Terms of Use carefully, particularly 4.d regarding posting about horses that you do not own.

Hi Angela,
The beet pulp is not necessary if the balance cubes are working for your horses.  The cubes have a bit of beet pulp in them as a binder.  I find the cubes easier to work with as a carrier than beet pulp, which requires more prep in terms of rinsing and soaking.

Keep in mind that we’ve found the balance cubes to be a better source of calories than hay so feeding 4 pounds of cubes is equivalent to 5 pounds of hay.

Looking forward to your case history!
--

Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

Adibrito

Thank you for pointing that out - I do have permission to present health/case history 👍
--
Angela D in TN 2022