Topics

still need to add iodized salt?

Portagecreek

I have been reading some archived messages but still confused - I still have Tane on soaked plain BP, ground flax plus MadBarn AminoTrace +. I am hoping to be able to get OntarioDehy timonthy balanced cubes but our only feed store is not very cooperative. Still trying!

Should I still be adding the iodized table salt or does the Aminotrace have enough salt and iodine in it? Or should I be feeding an iodine-only supplement?  I read that AminoTrace has 5g of salt & 5mg of iodine per 200g but he's not getting that much per day (1/2 cup per day).
--
Natalie
New Brunswick, Canada

Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Tane%20and%20Natalie/Tane%20Case%20History%20.pdf

Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=95995

Kirsten Rasmussen

Hi Natalie,

I recommend adding st least 1 TBSP iodized salt, more if he's being worked, to your current supplements.  Your hay will not have enough sodium and probably not enough chloride to meet his needs, plus you want 3-4 mg of iodine/day.  If you are giving Tane 1/2 of the 100g scoop of Amino Trace+ then he is only getting 1.25mg iodine/day.

You can also look into adding a guaranteed source of iodine, or getting a custom granular supplement from Mad Barn that has higher iodine and salt...I understand the custom mixes are quite affordable.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

LJ Friedman

I recommend 1 oz of iodized table salt. More if sweat from work.   Just ny opinion.  I use 2 oz daily

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

Lorna

Just to fill in more info about the iodine contained in 1 oz. of table salt, from Dr. kellon.
1.278 mg of iodine in 1 oz table salt.

https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/237986?p=,,,100,0,0,0::Created,,iodine+in+salt,100,2,0,32455268

--

Lorna Cane
Ontario, Canada

LJ Friedman

And i think??? I remember a horse can have 50 gm of iodine a day without issues.  1 or 2 or 4 ozs iodized salt cannot cause harm,  if sweat requires it

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

Deb Walker

I am still feeding 3 TBSP Iodized salt per day. That is what Dr. Kellon recommended, and I haven't stopped. Is there a reason to change?
--
Deb and Scotty I/R, PPID
Pecatonica Illinois, May 13, 2019
Case History:
Photos:

LJ Friedman

3 tbs is 1.5 oz.  sounds like a good recommendation to follow.

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

Lorna

Do you mean mg , LJ ?
50 mg  of iodine.?

--

Lorna Cane
Ontario, Canada

LJ Friedman

Yes. 50 mg max.  I forget how many ozs equals 50 mg of iodine. Its a lot.  Maybe 10 ozs of iodized salt is the max per day and no horse 🐎 is getting that much.  Dr kellon once showed the max. I cant recall the value in ozs per day

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

Deb Walker

I just buy the regular *people* iodized salt and break it up into 3 TBSP feedings per day. I have read on here about people having issues with salt...and I really can't comprehend that. I thought all horses loved salt? Posted on another thread about if horses can have *too much* salt, since Scotty is going to his white salt lick a LOT in the past few weeks.
--
Deb and Scotty I/R, PPID
Pecatonica Illinois, May 13, 2019
Case History: