Sucralfate and effects of Invokana and pergolide doses

hdavis

Hello,

Looking for information related on giving my EMS mare sucralfate who is also on Invokana and pergolide?  I understand the sucralfate can affect the absorbency of the pergolide and invokana so what are the best protocols to give these drugs?  Can I give the sucralfate so many hours after the Invokana and pergolide. Help please.  TIA.

--
Heather
August 5, 2017, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

Riosa

Storm

Case History

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Sucralfate has not been shown to have any benefit in adult horses but if you want to try it give the drugs at least two hours before the sucralfate.

Trisha DePietro

Hi Heather. In the human world, we administer  sulcrafate either 2 hours before any other medications or 2 hours after. I would suspect the same is true here. Pergolide is absorbed in the hind gut so no worries about the sulcrafate there...In the Invokana literature, it states that its absorbed in the GI tract...but does not specifically state, small, large intestine or stomach...Maybe Dr. K can get more info....Hope this helps.
--
Trisha DePietro
Aug 2018

hdavis