Sugar/carb content of Barnyard grass

Megan and Reign

Lately I've gotten bales of Teff hay that have quite a bit of Barnyard grass in them (this stuff: barnyard grass | plant | Britannica). I've been told that it isn't toxic, but I'm wondering how high in sugar it is. Should I dispose of the bales that have a fair amount of this weed in them, or are they OK to feed metabolic horses?
--
Thank you!
-Megan

2019, Gig Harbor, Washington

Sherry Morse

Hi Megan,

I think the only way you're going to get an answer is to core some of the bales and send them out for testing.  The only sort of nutritional information I could find is here: Echinochloa crus-galli (usda.gov) and https://assets.researchsquare.com/files/rs-924992/v1/4328abf6-8c83-4df0-9ca2-1b6e55391e3d.pdf?c=1637245784.

You could of course soak the hay to be on the safe side until you get test results back. (And I'd also suggest just running the EA Carb Pack since that's what you want to know about first.)

Megan and Reign

Thank you, Sherry. I like the idea of testing. There is so much variability in how much Barn Grass is in the bales, though, that I will pull out the Barn Grass alone and send it in to learn its nutritional composition.
--
-Megan

2019, Gig Harbor, Washington