Sugar in common ragweed

fullcirclefarmhorses@...

Is common ragweed (not ragwort) high in sugar or starch?  Do I need to worry about it triggering laminitis in horses not on pasture?  I’m starting my track system and all the grass is killed, we have pile of topsoil from last fall’s outdoor arena project.  The horses love climbing on it and eating ragweed.  I’m only letting them out for 20 minutes while we try to remove the ragweed.  I like their movement and they enjoy the new space, but 3 of 4 are dry lotted only. Can I allow them access to it without worry?  Ava’s insulin is under control, the other 2 are not IR, but dry lotted because they are fatties.
--
Heather W in WI 2022
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Heather%20and%20Ava

Hi Heather,

You can contact your local county extension office and ask them if they have any idea about this information but most likely you would need to collect samples and send them to Equi-Analytical for testing to get this answer if the Google hasn't provided you an answer.

Personally I would keep the horses from eating it by any means possible if you have worries about laminitis until you have an answer.

You might find the following link useful:

fullcirclefarmhorses@...

Thanks, Sherry!  I never thought about reaching out to my extension office.  I did find and read the article yesterday you posted.

Heather W in WI 2022
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Heather%20and%20Ava

If they really enjoy eating it you need to be concerned about it. Ragweed is usually only palatable in the early growth stages. When it gets tall, they won't eat it.