Superman's weight

Anette

Hello all. I've uploaded four recent pictures of Superman. Apologies that only one shows the near side, beggers can't be choosers when others are doing it for you. Anyway I was hoping to see improvement in his  weight but it doesn't look any better despite getting half a Prascend a day since January. Should we decrease the oats and increase the beet shreds or Timothy cubes? Increase flax? He isn't currently getting any exercise ,would hand walking or going on a walker help with his top line? I'm open to adding a new feed product but if a change with what he's already getting would help I'd like to try that first.
--
Anette and Superman (Jaywalker in heaven)
Boomer, NC

The photos are different angles but I think he looks somewhat better.  Exactly how much of each food item, by weight, is he getting? Cubes soaked?

I think in the pictures you posted he looks better than he did.  Have you had his ACTH checked to see if the current Prascend dose is adequate?

Anette

Oats 3lbs
Shreded Beet  3 1/2 lbs
Tim. cubes 1 cup/8oz.
TCN Flax 1 cup
This is divided between two feedings and the cubes and beets are soaked.
--
Anette and Superman (Jaywalker in heaven)
Boomer, NC
Sep.9 2018
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Anette%20and%20Jaywalker

Anette

He was last tested 10/27/2021,he was getting 1/4 a pill at that time. In January vet said to go to half a pill and see if it made a difference. He hasn't been tested since.
--
Anette and Superman (Jaywalker in heaven)
Boomer, NC
Sep.9 2018
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Anette%20and%20Jaywalker

Hi Annette,

You may want to consider getting him tested to see if the current dose is controlling his PPID.  For the time of year when he was tested last he was slightly above the expected range but I wouldn't have thought the vet would increase the dosage without checking where he was at in January.

Anette

I wanted to have him checked in Feb. but the vet broke his foot and couldn't make a farm call and apparently the other vet couldn't  see him because he's not her patient. If he's going to get checked it needs to be soon to avoid the start of the seasonal rise, correct?
I remember it being mentioned that if one knows how to draw blood they can do it as long as it's spun within 4 hrs. I'd like to do that,but does it need to go into a certain tube? Would my vet have issue if I asked for one? Wondering if others do this how they approached the vet?
--
Anette and Superman (Jaywalker in heaven)
Boomer, NC
Sep.9 2018
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Anette%20and%20Jaywalker

Hi Annette,

You can have a small animal vet ship the sample for you. The information on blood handling can be found on Cornell's website with the specifics on how to ship it - Equine Diagnostic Plans and Panels | Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine.  Only your vet can answer if they would have an issue with you doing the bloodwork via another channel.

Anette

I didn't make myself clear. The other vet I referred to is in the same office and in fact his  daughter. Anyway, I have searched the feed list here to see if Purins Senior is safe to feed as it keeps getting mentioned on FB groups. Would it be suitable for Superman? I'd slowly switch  the Purina Senior for the oats.

Anette and Superman (Jaywalker in heaven)
Boomer, NC
Sep.9 2018
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Anette%20and%20Jaywalker

Hi Annette,

Without a case history for Superman we can't answer the feed question but as a rule nothing Purina makes is low enough in ESC or Starch for an IR or PPID horse.  Just because it keeps getting mentioned as a way to put weight on doesn't mean it's healthy or safe.

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

You didn't mention how much hay he is getting.

How old is he? You could gradually take him up to 10 lbs/day of the cubes.

Anette

I found this in the files here.
Purina NSC Comparison 2006-02-04.pdf (groups.io)
Purina ES 2009-06-10.pdf (groups.io)
There should be a CH for Superman,only thing on it that might not be current is the Prascend,which he's getting half a pill now.
I defiantly trust the advice given here over what I read on FB,my vet has told me twice now to put him on Purina Senior.I hesitate because of the safety factor but I'm not thrilled with the ingredients but use it for another horse as it's what has helped him gain and maintain weight and it,is available and more affordable than other senior feed. (this horse is not PPID). That's why I'm looking for another way to get Superman looking better,I'm trying to get him tested soon before the seasonal rise so we'll have that info as well.
--

Anette and Superman (Jaywalker in heaven)
Boomer, NC
Sep.9 2018
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Anette%20and%20Jaywalker

Anette

Hi, he gets free choice hay and is 22 or 23 yo.
Would that increase in cubes be supplementing the hay and not counting towards his 5lbs. per meal? Should the cubes be soaked?
Thank you for your time.
--
Anette and Superman (Jaywalker in heaven)
Boomer, NC
Sep.9 2018
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Anette%20and%20Jaywalker

Sorry Annette, I forgot his CH folder was in Jaywalker's folder but please do update it with current feeding program and medication when you get a chance as the last update was in December.

As far as the Purina - the test from 2009 was an ESC of 8.4 and a starch of 8.5 which is a total of 16.9% and MUCH higher than we recommend (the starch is over double what we would want to see).  There are much safer options to put weight on, starting with the cubes.