Topics

Switching from Pergolide to Cabergoline

suzarkr@...

I just made the switch from pergolide to cabergoline. Knight's acth was never under control while taking pergolide. The numbers went up and down regardless of the dosage.He was receiving 12mg compounded capsules.

We gave the first .5 ml injection on monday the 20th. Im very happy to report that he has had NO reactions at all! He feels great and is eating all of his food. He is still thin, but has gained a lot of weight with a major increase in feed. (I couldnt increase his feed previously because he wouldnt eat it, not sure why. but now he eats over 23 lbs of cubes/pellets/lmf soaked)

This is especially great news since he has recently been bit by "something" (we suspect a dry bite from a rattlesnake) and is receiving antibiotics. I am giving him APF until he is off the antibiotics. The bite is on the lower left rear right above the hoof. Its very swollen after two weeks, but it is draining and isnt painful anymore.

We are planning on the second injection of .75ml on August 3rd (2 weeks after the first injection)
--
Susan Morgan
June 30, 2018

Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=71655

How exciting, Susan!  I see that you are giving him APF while he’s on antibiotics.  Did you start that before giving cabergoline?  Just curious.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

suzarkr@...

Hi Martha,
Yes,  I was getting ready for the first injection of cabergoline, so I started him on the APF on Saturday the 18th (his injection was Monday the 20th). He was started on antibiotics Thursday the 16th. (SMZ twice daily).
Why do you ask? Now Im curious :) Because the antibiotics always make loose stools. Does the APF help with that? I was giving him 3ml twice daily, now Im only giving him one ml twice daily and his stools are getting loose. hmmmmm.....

--
Susan Morgan
June 30, 2018
Ione, California
Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Susan%20and%20Knight

Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=71655

suzarkr@...

Update: Knight "crashed" yesterday. Day 11 after his first injection of Cabergline. He was acting colicky (laying down, not eating all his breakfast, lethargic, depressed), so I gave Banamine and he quickly recovered. At 5pm last night I gave him .5ml Cabergoline. Reason being is that he has been slowly declining in attitude the last 3 days. I am sure that the first injection was wearing off. By 8pm he was back to his normal self.
My vet didnt want to give the second injection before day 14 (she is unfamiliar with Cabergoline and was going by the recommendation of the BET lab). But Im happy to report that she is a very cooperative veterinarian and willing to trust my judgement , once I told her about the postings here of the horses that needed the injection at 10 days instead of 14. Thank you ECIR !!!

--
Susan Morgan
June 30, 2018
Ione, California
Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Susan%20and%20Knight

Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=71655

suzarkr@...

AM UPDATE: Off feed and lethargic. Only ate half his dinner. slowly eating his breakfast. I syringed some APF earlier, now he is eating better... coincidence? or is the veil starting to wear off? Or ??? I still might give him banamine if he doesnt start eating complete meals. He is thin and needs all his food!
I will make sure to start APF before next injection.
--
Susan Morgan
June 30, 2018
Ione, California
Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Susan%20and%20Knight

Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=71655

LJ Friedman

What was your reason for giving the injection at 10 days instead of 14? In my experience I shortened the days between doses when lab markers showed I needed to improve my levels.

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

Good for you, Susan, for keeping a cool head and figuring all this out on your own!  After my experience with Logo’s Remarkable Veil, once I got him on APF, I just left him there.  Much as is the case with you, we were still trying to figure out a good dosage schedule for him and, having APF on board, made it possible to adjust our dosing schedule on the fly, according to our observations.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response
July 2012

Martha and Logo

suzarkr@...

LJ, Reason being is that he has been slowly declining in attitude the last 3 days. I am sure that the first injection was wearing off.

--
Susan Morgan
June 30, 2018
Ione, California
Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Susan%20and%20Knight

Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=71655

suzarkr@...

Thanks Martha, It's really scary when Knight wont eat since he is so thin right now. I will be sure to keep him on the APF before and after every injection from now on. We were scheduled to give his second injection on Monday, so I was going to start him back up today. I probably could have waited on the injection, but it freaked me out yesterday when he was laying down, in the hot sun, in the middle of the day. He NEVER lays down during the day. Again, it might have just been mild colic, but I wasnt taking any chances. The older he gets, the more this is happening (colic symptoms). He has never had a full blown colic episode, but these little "poor appetite, not eating at all, and laying down" episodes have been off and on since he was 3 years old.
ps. I have an awesome equine veterinarian, Vickie Smalley-Clark, who is always available to me :) Makes all the difference in the world when I can contact her at any time and talk things out!!
--
Susan Morgan
June 30, 2018
Ione, California
Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Susan%20and%20Knight

Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=71655

suzarkr@...

UPDATE: Knight ate ALL his food Saturday night! He was still a bit lethargic Sunday morning, but eating much better. It took him several hours to finish his breakfast, but by dinner time he had "cleaned his plate" and wasn't lethargic anymore. Bright eyes and wanting food!
I think, if this happens again, I will just treat the "colic" and wait on the injection; giving it as close to 14 days as I can.
--
Susan Morgan
June 30, 2018
Ione, California
Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Susan%20and%20Knight

Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=71655

Hi Susan,
It’s also possible that his bright eyes and bushy tail might have been due to his cabergoline injection.  My horse, Logo, began having colic like episodes not too long after I bought him and his previous owner then described a similar situation she’d had with him.  My vet at the time suggested giving him some cimetidine when I noticed that.  Within 20 min, he’d be back to his normal self.  This happened several times, invariably when I was out of town.  At that point, the vet suggested running an ACTH test on him.  His ACTH was modestly elevated but, once I started him on pergolide, he never never again had one of those episodes.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response
July 2012

Martha and Logo

suzarkr@...

Acid reducers work. I can also give Knight some omeprazole and he will be ok.
--
Susan Morgan
June 30, 2018
Ione, California
Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Susan%20and%20Knight

Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=71655

Laura and Pabatsa in CA

--
Laura and Pabatsa in California
Feb 2012

suzarkr@...

Laura, did you mean to write a message? It didnt show up if you did.