Cyproheptadine route, which is what we are doing here on the Funny Farm.

Date: 7/7/00 4:54:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time
From: LNGERZ
To: EquineCushings@...

I am just finishing up my first bottle of liquid cyproheptadine and although
the price is cheaper, I am just not certain of the results being as good.
The stuff requires a really good shaking each day before giving and when I
did call the pharmacy to ask if they had anyone else who was questioning its
effectiveness, they assured me that the med is the same, only in liquid form.
So, yeah, the results should be the same, but I keep thinking maybe the
foaming after shaking is messing up my measurements a little bit. Well, it
is possible.

Anyway, the cost for a bottle of 16 oz. was, as of two weeks ago, when I
reordered, $165.00 total and they DO take VISA, in case you are wondering.
Each cc contains 1 00 mg, or the equivalent of 25 tabs (of the 4 mg size) So
you would use, Oh Gosh, Math is not my strong point --- help me out if I am
wrong, but Pandora took 29 tabs and I give her 1.2 cc per day so you would
need about the same amount per dose. Is that right, guys? So you would use
2.4 cc per day. ( I have two mules, one gets 0.8 cc/day and the other 1.2
cc/day) so that would cost you about--- hmmmmmm--- I think about 75 cents a
day. I just know it is cheaper than the pills by a whole lot. Not bragging
up the results though, just doing the math. Others have had more success
with pergolide. I stayed with the same med because it seemed to be working,
but Pandora Mule hooves have not looked as good to the farrier since the
liquid. No special reason to think it is the med, just want to share with
you what he has seen! Oh, the pharmacy is Prescription Specialties Inc.
located in Cheshire, CT. The phone number where your vet has to call in your
Rx, then you call to order is 1-800-861-0933. They ship right away, so it
takes about a week. As a backup, because I always feel better with a Plan B,
I am keeping one bottle of tablets till we get close to the exp. date on the
bottle. Hey, you never know, I could spill the whole darn bottle, couldn't
I, and watch that "Liquid Gold" pour all over the floor. I do hope that
never happens, but I am quite familiar with Murphy's Law!
Hope this helps! Someone else with some other info, please jump in here!
Kay in NY

Barbara P. <MorganPinesFarm@...>

Hello folks,
My vet just got back the blood work from BET labs (she is sending
me
a copy) and this is what she told me.
Amiga's thyroid was in the normal range though at the high end.(she
is on 2 scoops of Thyrol) Her cortisol rhythm was also within normal
parameters. But, her insulin was still way too high. The insulin was
the only test we had done back in May. My vet feels that while the
cypro is helping( she's been on it a month) she feels the PerMax
would
be better. So...she stays on 150 mg of cypro and we're adding a
PerMax
later.
The bad part is Amiga's son Majestad. Not only was his insulin
somewhat high ( though not as bad as hers) but his cortisol rhythm
only showed a change of about 7%. So we've started him on 150 mg of
cypro. This really floored me. I only had him tested more as a
baseline. He does not show any of the typical symptoms. The only
thing
is that the area above his eyes instead of being concave is
puffy...and he has a cresty neck and some fat pockets. But I wasn't
expecting this. His thyroid is within the normal range. I can't
believe this is happening.
I did some research into both online and local pharmacies and
can't
believe the prices of these meds. Right now I'm using Prescription
Specialties which only carries the meds in liquid form. Even at that,
the PerMax comes to about $2 per mg. So for both horses together it's
about $6 per day. That is not something I can continue indefinitely.
And that doesn't count the Thyrol and other supplements to help their
immune systems.
Does anyone know if work is being done to bring the prices down to
a more reasonable level? I guess because it's human medication and
most people have insurance, there's no push to help the horse folk.
Boy has this been an awful 2 months. I feel like my nice orderly
way of life is spinning out of control. Maybe I need to try out for
Regis's Millionaire show!!!!!!!!!!
Barbara

Barbara P. <MorganPinesFarm@...>

Hi Kay in NY
I am using the liquid cypro from Prescription Specialties. A 16 oz
bottle is about 180 cc. Each of mine is getting 1.5 cc so that comes
to 120 doses per bottle, making it $1.38 per dose. The PerMax will
also be liquid and will be a little over $2 per mg. So Amiga will be
about $3 for PerMax, $1.38 for cypro and Majestad will be $1.38 for
cypro.That's almost $6. It's cheaper than the pills but gosh, that's
still an awful lot when you consider it goes on forever. I just
wasn't
expecting both horses to be sick-still getting used to the idea.
Barbara

LNGERZ@...

Well, the BAD news is that you will be medicating TWO horses, as I medicate
TWO mules, but the GOOD news is that 16 oz is actually 480 cc, since there
are 30cc in one ounce. Check a medicine cup to see what I mean. So that
means one bottle will last you much longer than you were thinking. Just
double checked as I measured out Pandora's 1.2 cc and Sadie's 0.9 cc and yep,
that's right! Kay, who gives ThyroL to TWO mules and a mini-donkey and yes,
even has a dog on thyroid medicine too. Once an online vet suggested I be
checked too. I thought she was kidding. BAD news was it cost me almost $480
for my lab work but the GOOD news was that my thyroid levels are perfect.
Welcome to My World!
Kay, who thinks it is neat that we can share our info.

Barbara P. <MorganPinesFarm@...>

Kay-thanks for setting me straight. I knew 1 oz=30 cc but I think my
brain must have turned to mush after checking all those pharmacy
prices!
Question to those of you who have been in contact with BET labs.
Once I have the paperwork in front of me for reference, can I just
call the lab and ask to speak to Heather? One of my reasons is that
my instructor, who has raised many Andalusians, says that they're
bodies tend to be different than most horses. I just looked through
her barn today and almost all of the Andys have funny fat pockets-
even the thin ones. She wondered if what is considered normal insulin
and cortisol for the average horse might be different for the Spanish
breeds. Anyone out there with any insight?
I guess she and I are both having trouble believing Majestad is
affected also-particularly in the absence of typical symptoms.
Unless, by the time you see the long hair coat and excessive thirst
etc., the disease has been well ingrained. Guess I'm grasping at
straws.
On a upbeat note-I think I had mentioned that Majestad had tested
positive for Lyme's disease, which explained his uncomfortable
feeling without being lame. Well, after 1 week on doxycycline( 2
weeks more to go) he is acting like his old self. Today was the first
day in 2 months that he didn't indicate that he hurt anywhere. Yahooo!
Kay is right. It's great having these boards to share information.
Barbara, who now is seeing a little blue sky through the clouds.

Susan Laflamme <f4mlatir@...>

HI Barb,
Interesting point you bring up about breeds. I was just reading something
that mentioned hardier breeds having higher insulin levels. I think it was
on the chronic founder web sight.
Just started Darby on liquid cypro at 1 ml in am and 1 ml in pm she seems
to be a little better today but she is still on 2 grams of bute. I paid
180.00 for 8 oz of cypro.
Sue
PS wishing you well

At 05:18 PM 7/16/00 -0000, you wrote:
[...]

Horse Auctions! No charge at ClipClop.com
Click Here to visit us today:
http://click.egroups.com/1/6326/5/_/664507/_/963767914/

Shortcut URL to this page:

http://www.onelist.com/community/EquineCushings

LNGERZ@...

And you deserve so much credit being alert and getting the Lyme's disease
diagnosed early so antibiotics could be started. You just saved Majestad's
life you know! Isn't that just super?

About the 30 cc in an ounce. I am a retired RN, and yet, to double check
what I knew was true, I did look at a med cup, so maybe two mushy brains are
at work here!

Anyway, the Good News about the Lyme has just made my night. Thanks for
sharing! Kay, who loves to hear the good stuff

LNGERZ@...

And I paid $165 for 16 oz of cyproheptadine, so I am getting a good deal,
right? I think I like that concept! Kay, who usually pays more than anyone
else and can NEVER find a thing that she wants when it is ON SALE.