Topics

testing a symptom free ppid horse

LJ Friedman

Is it correct to say that if the funds permit, a PPO the horse should be tested for ACTH on January and July each year? Are those the correct months? Thanks

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

Kirsten Rasmussen

I guess it depends.  I would probably test in July and September myself, and not worry much about the rest of the year...

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

LJ Friedman

Thank you for the correction. I was unsure my months for correct but of course we have to test before the rise ,  ie test in September

why july and sept?

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

Kirsten Rasmussen

I would test in July (maybe August) to see how we are doing coming in to the rise, and adjust pergolide accordingly then retest in early Sept to see if its adequate.  The rest of the year doesn't seem to be as critical.

Just what I would do if I could choose based on what I've learned here.  My vet only comes out our way in May and October so those are the only times I can get bloodwork done.  But we are not dealing with PPID anyways.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History