Topics

Testing for Cushings on a new horse, looking for best way to have horse gain weight, improve topline

christinecull33

I had a horse join my herd last fall from South Carolina.  I am in eastern Ontario.
This horse is a 20 y.old paso fino.  I have not yet created a case file.

Hera Dera arrived with poor top line and lost significant weight over her first year here.  We have been working hard on helping her put this weight back on but it has been slow and tough. We have treated her for worms, had her teeth checked, provided a month of ulcer medication and have added r/s/r shredded beet pulp to her diet.  I follow the IR protocol of feed for all my horses -- so the beet pulp is in addition to the Ont. dehy complete cube, 2000 IE Vit e, Mad barns Amino Trace, 4 -6 ounces of split peas, and 3/4 cup ground flax.

I had the vet out to check for Cushings today. If she turns out positive, we will start the pergolide treatment right away, I should know this week on the results.  I will create a case file with all the particulars.

I'm found this diet for senior horses on the horsekeeping group. https://ecir.groups.io/g/Horsekeeping/files/1%20SENIOR%20DIET.pdf
1) is this diet still suitable?  I assume if positive for Cushings, it will be really important to have the pergolide on board prior to starting this diet?
2) The diet on this link provided has it's own mineral custom mix.  I currently use Madbarns Amino Trace for the entire herd.  I have my hay tested annually, and the last two years, the Amino trace has been suitable. Can I still use the Amino Trace with this seniors diet? Or do I need to use the custom mix?

FYI, Although we feed her grain 2x per day, Hera Dera still as access to free netted hay.

Any thoughts on 'weight gain' approach would be terrific.  I am prepared to buy on the necessary feed to make up the diet on from the horsekeeping site if you feel that is suitable.

Thanks and I will keep you posted re the Cushing test results.

thanks in advance. I will advice on the results of the cushings test.

--
Chris
July 29, 2017, Belleville, Ontario

Minnie Photo Album;

Has this horse had an insulin test done?
--
Bonnie Snodgrass 07-2016

ECIR Primary Response

White Cloud, Michigan, USA

Mouse Case History, Photo Album

christinecull33

No. We did not have any suspicion of IR.  Can run this test too if necessary.