Topics

Thanks on all recent posts .

Tara Smith

For some reason some did not show as sent on my end so I OVER SENT!!!We are on vt.blend a little bit of Etec carb safe ,salt ,E ,chia little bit ,big boys get J herb  .All 3 of my four horses are cushings but she is now under suspect because shes a chubby girl .everyone is on the same diet because gavi is so metabolic with both IR /cushings .Ny friend just dropped some psyllium today!I know E tec has some pro bios and vt blend has prebios .In a pinch can we use a gas x on our horses or daily ?I would like to look into recommendations but gavilon is so metabolic A crumb throws him off.He is also on ivonkana/pracend.Thank you for always offering wonderful suggestions!
--
Tara and Gavilon
Mass.  Nov 2017

Tracy

Hi Tara!  I replied on your gas colic post about Gas-X.
Hopefully Dr Kellon sees your question here about using Gas-X daily....I would think if you're contemplating daily use of it - a much harder look needs to be taken to try and 'root cause' why your horse is having such frequent bouts of it ....is it feed, something about management that you could adjust, a medical issue....was the horse ok and then at some point gas colic/symptoms started being a problem - if so- what details (any and all details) can you remember about that.
I think gas colic is tough because it seems to be a 'catch all' type diagnosis for some mystery belly pain.  Frustrating for sure.
Has your vet had any thoughts about what might be causing it?

--
Tracy and Salsa (1999 model year Paso Fino)
Middle TN USA, September 2019

Tara Smith

-- Hi ,This gassy colic comes on transiently with her .Not with my other 3 .We are are on all tested first ,and second cut hay blend,there is a bit of fescue in some of the first cut .It comes from a horse blend and planted by crop production.I try and pi k it out but maybe that is an issue ,IDK!She eats hay every 3 hrs or so and has a slow feeder overnight with her brother .They need to be dewormed now they have a 15 load on strongyles bit vet said wait a week now.They are 24/7 turn out on dirt and pea stone uuugh so I  dnt know .Gonna add a little psyllium powder today ...just not sure !