Thoughts on this anyone?

Bobbie Day

I’m looking for an alternative to what we’ve been doing for Desi’s feet. We’re already at 100 deg here , we’ve been doing a pad inside a diaper, ALL her boots are rubbing her heels except her soft rides and with her bad knees I hate to put heavy boots on her. She has a pair of just about everything on the market. I put cold therapy wraps on her when it’s the hottest part of the day but she needs something cooler. She goes barefoot two or three days a week but then she’s had enough.
I found these, I’m thinking she would enjoy the cold since were just getting started here, but man the cost !

https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/ice-horse-big-black-boot-6474

Does anyone have an opinion? Lavinia or Dr.K could you also comment?

ps we tried the sport sandal thing, it didn’t work. I’m at a loss 😞

--
Bobbie and Desi
NRC Plus , NAT , C&IR March 2020

Edited

This product from Happy Hoof Pads came to mind. They are low cost and lightweight. https://www.happyhoofpads.net/slippers
You can buy any sort of pad you want to go into the "slipper". Also consider applying Sore-No-More Classic Poultice to hoof soles. Clay poultices are very cooling, as the water slowly evaporates from the clay it has a cooling effect. Poultice can be thinned with a little water and applied to the legs (must contact the skin) and it will cool the lower legs until dry. Pack the soles with the clay, cover the clay with a heavy paper (I use the paper from feed bags) NOT plastic. The water in the clay needs to evaporate which won't happen if you put plastic wrap over the clay. You could put a thin soft pad into the slippers for cushioning. HappyHoofPads.com sells an amazing assortment of pads. Yes these slippers won't last as long as a heavier boot but they only cost $42.00. The ingredients in the sore no more that help the most (in my opinion) are the clay, the arnica and possibly the witch hazel.

INGREDIENTS

Bentonite (Bowie Type clay) and proprietary extract of witch hazel bark and leaves with the following common herbs: arnica (Arnica montana), rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis), lavender (Lavendula officinalis), and lobelia (Lobelia inflata)

--
Bonnie Snodgrass 07-2016

ECIR Group Primary Response

White Cloud, Michigan, USA

Mouse Case History, Photo Album Deceased

Bobbie Day

Thanks Bonnie
I will try the poultice idea. We actually have these and they didn’t work for her either. I think a lot of her issues are she doesn’t pick her right foot up very far anymore and seems to drag her toes. I found this and ordered it, hopefully it will work.

Jeanne Q

Thanks for this thread Bobbie!
Glo is dealing with the same issues in this hot weather.  Ive run the gamut on boots and homemade sandals.  I just ordered the boot from Riding Warehouse.  Thats a new one and worth a try.  Thanks!  I will let you know how it works for Glo.
--
Jeanne Q MN 2020
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jeanne%20&%20Glory

Jeanne Q

Sorry, I forgot to add......I have been booting Glo at night while the temps are cooler and leaving her barefoot during the day when it is so hot.
--
Jeanne Q MN 2020
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jeanne%20&%20Glory

Bobbie Day

Jeanne
Thats a great idea, I am trying that also. I gave up and put Desi’s soft rides on her last night and this morning she could barely walk, I think the weight of it is just too much anymore. I dug out the slippers Bonnie suggested and put a thicker pad in it. I have literally a TON of pads I’ve bought but my preference is a thin pad and a thin pad of wool. I buy rug backing with anti slip it helps absorb the sweat.
I should have bought stock in all these and powder !  I wish they made a pad that you could stick in the refrigerator. Maybe I should think on that !   I’ll keep my fingers crossed that this works for us all, it’s sure frustrating.
Good luck !

--

Bobbie and Desi
NRC Plus , NAT , C&IR March 2020

Diane Pingrey

My experience with Soft Rides for Denny was that in order for them to stay on and not rotate around even in the correct size, they had to be put on fairly tight.  But if you look at the profile of this boot, the back side is straight up vertical with no form or shape for the heel bulbs or the height of the heel bulbs or the angle of the pastern.  This would be like a size C cup woman wearing a straight board for a bra - ouch!  If you look at the profile of a horse's hoof and pastern, they for sure are not straight up; there are some contours and angles that the Soft Rides completely ignore.

When a horse first starts wearing these Soft Rides, they walk like a clown and that motion and position also can't be good for a horse with lameness and compromised hoof conditions.

When the boot is on super tight, the cordura nylon fabric rubs and compresses against sore heel bulbs and for a horse with a rotated coffin bone and collapsing hoof capsule further squishing and compressing against that, this was a painful disaster that caused further collapse of the hoof capsule.  After one day in Soft Rides, Denny was so sore and so lame that she was taking her teeth and scratching her medial hoof wall and could barely walk, and I had to remove them, never able to give them a chance to break in.  They caused the hoof capsule to sink even further and caused a 3/8 thick and 2 inch long swelling at the coronet which later broke open oozes interior hoof fluid.  Plus each boot weighs 1.5 lbs which made it very difficult for a horse with Denny's lameness and hoof conditions to walk.  Clouds only weigh 1.0 lb per boot, but have the same poor heel bulb design and upright position.

I then tried a long size Soft Ride thinking that would relieve pressure on the heel bulbs but it made the entire boot too big and it rotated around on her feet making her extremely lame once again.  Off those went.  I then cut out an oblong opening at the bulbs of the heel in her non-long size to relieve the pressure which would be like wearing a bra with the cups removed, but that made the boot too big and it rotated around on her hoof until the front side of the boot was on her heel bulbs further aggravating her hoof and making her very lame.  So I'm done with Soft Rides.  If a horse can wear those and not further injure their hoof, their condition must not be that bad.   The only thing good about them is the pad inside the boot and the rubbery sole had some grab to it.  You'd be better off duct taping that pad onto the feet, but then just buy pads and pass on the Soft Rides.

On another horse I tended to for 3 years who had to wear Soft Rides, the top rim of the boot around the pastern formed creases and they were too upright for his pastern angle so it didn't fit right on the pastern either.  This caused that horse to scratch his pasterns with his teeth.

I switched to styrofoam pads for Denny and she did the best on 1.25 inch thick pads, but after 12 hours, they were compressed down to a pancake, though they did leave a great impression of her sole so you could really see what she was doing with her foot, were lightweight, and she seemed to walk best in those.  The 2.25 inch styrofoam pads were too thick and caused her too much pain until her body weight collapsed them down; they lasted 1.5 -2 days. The EVA pads that the vet office had were too dense for Denny and she had too much pain in them.

The Renegade boot arrived, and while they accommodate the heel bulb depth and height better, the boot is basically a plastic shell with a plastic sole and the sole is slippery.  I wonder how an endurance horse could actually wear those and not slip over large rocks based on the plastic-like sole.  Seems like the horse would feel disconnected from their feet. It would need a pad in it.  A rubbery sole with some grab would have been better.

The EasyCare EasyBoot Back Country had a horrendous interior heel design for a lame horse and also ignored the contours along the back of the hoof, heels and pastern angle.  I wonder how horses don't get lame wearing some of these boots on the market.

I haven't had a chance yet to check out the Equine Fusion All Terrains or some of the softer hoof pads or any of the Cavallo boots to see how they could be modified.

--
Diane P and Denny in Lincoln, CA 2021

Denny Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Diane%20and%20Denny
Denny Photos:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=263875

Candice Piraino

Hey Bobbie,

I am not sure what boots you have tried, but they can be rub if not the correct size of if your horse is growing out flair or laminits. I have been there with my personal horse and clients- so i understand the frustration! We don't want to add to their pain by continuing to boot them and then the sores become even worse and then require vet care and NSAIDs to avoid infection.

I would recommend casting if boots are failing you right now. This would allow her ouchies to hopefully heal in the meantime. Talk to your hoof care provider about it OR you might even be able to cast yourself if you are able and comfortable doing so. It takes some practice, and you want to ensure the casting material stays well below the hairline. Anyhow, I wanted to throw out that option to you. Some casts can stay on for approximately 4-6 weeks, but should then definitely be removed for trimming of the hoof. Also, proper packing of the hoof can ward off any thrush or yuck prior to casting.
--

Candice Piraino

Primary Response Team

September 2018, Summerfield, FL

Shark's Case History

Shark's Photo Album

PHCP Barefoot Trimmer @www.arkhavenfarm.com

Maxine McArthur

On Wed, Jun 9, 2021 at 01:51 AM, Diane Pingrey wrote:
The Renegade boot arrived, and while they accommodate the heel bulb depth and height better, the boot is basically a plastic shell with a plastic sole and the sole is slippery.  I wonder how an endurance horse could actually wear those and not slip over large rocks based on the plastic-like sole.  Seems like the horse would feel disconnected from their feet. It would need a pad in it.  A rubbery sole with some grab would have been better.
I'm sorry to hear about your boot woes, Diane. I've been through many many brands of boots over the years. It is, unfortunately, a trial and error process, and thank goodness for the social media used boot market!

Just quickly addressing your concern re the Renegades, in case others are considering using them--they aren't a rehab boot, but a performance boot and therefore designed for a healthy barefoot hoof, which means no flare, walls level with the sole or only slightly above, rolled edges, good sole depth, and a robust frog. I know many endurance riders who use them without pads, and I used them without pads for years before Indy was diagnosed PPID. I now use them with pads. Here's a photo (this is a Happy Hoof yellow pad):
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/photo/933/3241611?p=Created,,,20,2,0,0
I still find them the easiest boot to put on and remove. They have excellent grip on most surfaces. I remember trotting down a wet bitumen road in Rennies at an endurance ride past all the metal-shod horses whose riders were worried about going faster than a walk in case of a slip. Have to say, I avoid riding my horses over large slippery rocks no matter what their hoof protection is--if I had to, I'd get off and lead.
So, Renegades for horses coming back into work--yes. For distorted hooves needing 24/7 protection and padding--no.

The Easycare Back Country is basically a Glove shell with a modified gaiter, so again more of a performance boot. Pete Ramey has some suggestions on how to heat the rubber shell part of the boot to fit distorted walls, which allows the back of the boot to hug the heels properly. He uses Gloves with pads for quite a few of his rehabs. You can do the heat fitting quite easily yourself with a cheap soldering torch or heat gun (I've done it). You'd need to unscrew the gaiters while you fit the shell, then put the gaiters on again. Here's the link to Pete's protocol:
https://www.hoofrehab.com/GloveMod.html

 Hope this might give you some ideas.

Canberra, Australia 2010
ECIR Primary Response

Kirsten Rasmussen

Hi Dianbe,

Most of the enclosed riding hoots, Cavellos and Equine Fusions come to mind, take a bit of time to break in, like hiking boots for humans.  The manufacturers tell you to gradually build up how much time your horse spends in them.  The therapy boots shouldn't need this extra time, but nor can they fit all horses out of the box.  I know it's frustrating when the boots cost so much money, but you might find a pair of cheap, well worn Cavellos or Equine Fusions on the Facebook hoof boot group in Denny's size, especially if you ask.

I think Candice's suggestion of casting is a good option for any horse that is hard to boot or has rubs (the casts do not cover any skin), but they do have to be able to hold their hoof up for at least a minute when the casts are applied.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Bobbie Day

Oh Candice
How I wished I had someone that could help us !
we’re unable to cast because she can’t lift her right leg. It’s a effort to even get her in a boot. We can’t even clean it out as it needs to be.
It is literally a daily struggle. If she still didn’t talk to me, demand her feed and her brushing I think I would let her out of her pain but she’s not ready, I know what it feels like to fall apart.

As far as boots, she has two pair of softrides, equine fusions, scoot boots, two styles of easy boots and had the clouds. She doesn’t really need rehab boots anymore but just something to help with her thin soles. I think our next step is going to be to try and get a truck load of soft sand (if we can find it). I’m certain her heels are the issues with the rubs, we had a farrier that’s was supposed to start helping with her but apparently she’s not coming our way anymore. We found a awesome farrier for our other horses and he is amazing with them but he had never even heard of Cushing’s or IR so I’m not comfortable with him trimming her unless I can give him specific directions and honestly I have no idea anymore how to move forward with her.
My husband trims her toes back every other week but it’s difficult.
Anyway, we’ll keep plugging along 😊
--l I appreciate all the suggestions and support!

Bobbie and Desi
NRC Plus , NAT , C&IR March 2020
Utah, Nov 2018

Judy and Bugsy

Would the 'awesome farrier' be open to following hoof mark-ups done by someone else?
--

Judy and Bugsy

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Feb. 25, 2020

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Judy%20and%20Bugsy

Bobbie Day

Jeanne
Just wondering if you got your boots, ours came yesterday but too small! They run little if anyone else wants to try them. I think they’ll work once we get the right size.
We also ordered a truck of playground sand which she’s afraid to walk on. Seems I just can’t win 😞

--
Bobbie and Desi
NRC Plus , NAT , C&IR March 2020

Bobbie Day

Bonnie
Received the poultice today, thank you . We were 105 today with a raging fire about seven miles from us. I think she appreciated the cool off. I can see where this would help my other horses too. I didn’t know they made this particular product, I use the rub on her all the time.
thanks again ❤️
--
Bobbie and Desi
NRC Plus , NAT , C&IR March 2020