Thyro-L

Rita Chavez

Stetson has been on 1 tsp Thryo-L 2x/day since June 10th. It has helped him kickstart a great weight loss. I have about 5 days of the powder remaining and I asked my vet about tapering off. She said he didn't need to and I should just finish it up.

Am I imagining it, or did I read somewhere on this group that you should taper off Thryo-L? If so, how much?

--
Rita C. and Stetson (2001 Tennessee Walking Horse/Gelding, diagnosed IR)
Aiken, South Carolina USA

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Rita%20C.%20and%20Stetson

Sherry Morse

Hi Rita,

You did not imagine it but many vets just say to stop it when the bottle is empty.  I'm not sure why that is.  You can read what Dr. Kellon said about tapering here: https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/265797

Candice Piraino

HI Rita- yes definitely want to wean slowly, since it does mess with the thyroid some and it can backfire if stopped abruptly. If your vet gives you a little bit of backlash about it, maybe just tell them you want to continue it to get more weight off and then taper down with the new container.I don't think a vet would have issues providing more Thyro-L.
--

Candice Piraino

Primary Response Team

September 2018, Summerfield, FL