Topics

Thyroid L

It what way does Thyroid L help with Laminitis.  A friends vet insisted that she put her horse on Thyroid L to prevent laminitis.  Does it help with insulin resistance or is it just for an under-active thyroid?  Is it used too much?
--
Jean and Amber (over the bridge)

Buster (IR) and Nikki (Cushings)

South Carolina

August 2004

NRCPlus 0412; CIR 0813, 1211; NAT 0612

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Gloria%20and%20Amber

Casey76

Thyro-L is levothyroxine, and by supplementing it to a euthyroid horse you are basically pushing your horse into a hyperthyroid state in order to boost metabolism.

Knowing how absolutely awful I feel if I go hyperthyroid (I have autoimmune thyroiditis and take levothyroxine in an effort to normalise my thyroid function) it’s not something I would choose to do unless it was a last resort tbh.
--
Katrina

Mar 2017, Sunderland, UK

Tartine Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Katrina%20and%20Tartine

Tartine Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=4725

Sherry Morse

Hi Jean,

Thyro-L can help with weight loss in some horses.  It does not lower insulin and will not prevent laminitis by itself.  What will help prevent laminitis is all of the elements we discuss here regularly - having the right diagnosis, having the horse on the correct diet, having the trim optimized and exercising as necessary.  Some horses do need medication to help with their insulin levels but those fall in the category of metformin and Invokana, not thyroid medicine.

Sherry - Thank you for confirming my thoughts.  I was up against two people arguing with me and I sort of doubted myself for a minute.  I dont feel that just because your horse is fat that you should use Thyroid L to help them lose weight.  A proper diet and proper amount will do the same thing without drugs.  Thanks again
--
Jean and Amber (over the bridge)

Buster and Nikki

We had a whole discussion on this last year - https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/topic/76000703#253087 includes a link to the study by Dr. Frank's student showing that Thyro-L didn't lower insulin in IR horses as well as some other references.