Timing of metformin before feeding

Baker784@...

I actually do grind up the Metformin with a mortar and pestle, mix it with some Stevia and a bit of water and syringe it into my pony’s mouth, but I’d love not to have to do that to him.  My question is though, doesn’t Metformin need to be given 30 minutes before feeding?  Is this not as important as I thought?  I like the idea of mixing it with raspberry tea as well.
--
Martha B Upstate NY 2021

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Martha,

It absolutely does NOT have to be given 30 minutes before feeding. I have no idea where that came from.

Hi, Martha.
Your case history folder for Buddy is here:
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Martha%20and%20Buddy

Would you please add the link to your automatic signature?

Scroll down to the signature block and paste the link to the CH under your signature. Be sure to make the link clickable by adding a space or return after it.

Don't leave the page yet! Scroll to the bottom and click SAVE!

Thanks. ECIR volunteers appreciate have a full picture of your situation, and a CH is the best way.
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator

Hi Martha!
Dr Kellon has answered your question already.  We actually have that question raised rather frequently.  This appears to be your first post, although you’ve been a member for awhile, and that triggers our formal welcome post.

I took a look at your case history.  Thank you for posting it.  There are a few things I noticed which you might consider changing if you haven’t already.  We haven’t found that either bute or Tylenol is effective in helping with laminitis pain.  Metabolic laminitis is not an inflammatory event and the only thing to help the pain is to eliminate it’s cause, in your pony’s case high insulin and possibly trim.  I’d like to advise against giving omeprazole products with NSAIDs in an effort to control ulcer development.  It has been found that the combination of those two is likely to cause more harm than good.  Vets frequently recommend gabapentin but it hasn’t been found to be as easily absorbed by the horse as in other species.  And, you have InsulinWise on your list, which we haven’t found to be effective.  If you decide it doesn’t work for you either, I believe they have a money back guarantee.
Starting metformin has brought the insulin down but not enough to be safe.  TC SafeStarch is not necessarily a safe feed for your pony.  I would switch his diet to entirely TC timothy balance cubes to see if that makes a difference in his insulin.  Otherwise, touch base with Dr. Kellon about using another drug, invokana.
It would be helpful f you can create a photo album in the case history group and add some photos of your pony’s feet.  Do you have radiographs?  Even the best trims can sometimes need help.

What follows is the group welcome letter with all sorts of information you might find useful.

Hello

Welcome to the group!

The ECIR Group provides the best, most up to date information on Cushing's (PPID) and Equine Metabolic Syndrome (EMS)/Insulin Resistance (IR). Please explore our website where you'll find tons of great information that will help you to quickly understand the main things you need to know to start helping your horse. Also open any of the links below (in blue font) for more information/instructions that will save you time.

Have you started your Case History? If you haven't done so yet, please join our case history sub-group. We appreciate you following the uploading instructions so your folder is properly set up with the documents inside. Go to this CH message with info on how to use various devices and forms. If you have any trouble, just post a message to let us know where you are stuck.

DIAGNOSIS: There are two conditions dealt with here: Cushings (PPID) and Equine Metabolic Syndrome (EMS)/Insulin Resistance (IR). These are two separate issues that share some overlapping symptoms. An equine may be either PPID or EMS/IR, neither or both. While increasing age is the greatest risk factor for developing PPID, IR can appear at any age and may have a genetic component. Blood work is used for diagnosis as well as monitoring the level of control of each.

PPID is diagnosed using the Endogenous ACTH test, while EMS/IR is diagnosed by testing non-fasting insulin and glucose.

The fat-derived hormone leptin is also usually abnormally elevated in insulin resistance but because there are many other things which can lower or increase leptin ECIR is not recommending routine testing for this hormone. Leptin is the hormone that says "stop eating".

In Europe, adiponectin is tested instead of leptin. Adiponectin helps regulate glucose and fat burning, and maintain insulin sensitivity. Low levels are associated with EMS. It has come to be preferred over leptin because it is not influenced by things like weight or exercise, and also because it was the only factor other than insulin levels that predicted laminitis risk

Treatment: EMS is a metabolic type - not a disease - that is managed with a low sugar+starch diet and exercise (as able). The super-efficient easy keeper type breeds such as minis, ponies, Morgans, Arabs, Rockies are some of the classic examples. PPID is a progressive disease that is treated with the medication pergolide. Some, but not all, individuals may experience a temporary loss of appetite, lethargy and/or depression when first starting the medication. To avoid this "pergolide veil" (scroll down for side effects), we recommend weaning onto the drug slowly and the use of the product APF. The best long term results are seen when the ACTH is maintained in the middle of the normal range at all times, including during the annual seasonal rise. To accomplish this, the amount of medication may need to increase over time. Neither condition is ever "cured", only properly controlled for the remainder of the equine's life. If your partner is both PPID and IR then both medication and diet management will be needed.

  • low carb (less than 10% sugar+starch)
  • low fat (4% or less)
  • mineral balanced

EXERCISEThe best IR buster there is, but only if the equine is comfortable and non-laminitic. An individual that has had laminitis needs 6-9 months of correct realigning trims before any serious exercise can begin. Once the equine is moving around comfortably at liberty, hand walking can begin in long straight lines with no tight turns. Do not force a laminitic individual to move, or allow its other companions to do so. It will begin to move once the pain begins to subside. Resting its fragile feet is needed for healing to take place so if the animal wants to lay down, do not encourage it to get up. Place feed and water where it can be reached easily without having to move any more than necessary. Be extremely careful about movement while using NSAIDs (bute, banamine, previcox, etc.) as it masks pain and encourages more movement than these fragile feet are actually able to withstand. Additionally, NSAIDs (and icing) do not work on metabolic laminitis and long term NSAID use interferes with healing. Therefore, we recommend tapering off NSAIDs after the first week or so of use. If after a week's time your equine's comfort level has not increased, then the cause of the laminitis has not been removed and keeping up the NSAIDs isn't the answer - you need to address the underlying cause.

Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response
July 2012

Martha and Logo

Sherry Morse

The 30 minutes before feeding for Metformin came from the ECEIM Consensus statement in 2018
ECEIM consensus statement on equine metabolic syndrome (groups.io)  As previously noted that recommendation is 4+ years old now (at least) and can be considered out of date based on the experience of our group members.

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Edited

Note that there is no scientific basis for the 30 to 60 minutes before feeding recommendation. It's also not true that metformin does not influence insulin resistance.