Timothy Balance Cubes made into Pellets?

cris240z@...

I was wondering if anyone has every approached Ontario Dehy or Triple Crown about making pellets from the Timothy Balance Cubes.
My small pony Foster, 29 years old has trouble with the size and hardness of the cubes, but won't eat them wet/soaked. So we spend about 4 hours a week breaking up the cubes into smaller pieces for him to eat. Our living room looks like a feed store!
I imagine other ponies and minis that are older have the same problem. I know lots of horses refuse wet feed.

I did ask Triple Crown via email and they said they don't offer that. I just wondered if anyone had approached Ontario dehy, or had any insider information on the possibility of that ever happening.
I am grateful the Balance cubes exist because they seem to be the only safe, complete feed available today if your older horse can't eat hay and is alfalfa sensitive.
--
Cris Bliss  California 2018

gypsylassie

Hi Cris,  I only feed a large handful of ODTBCs at a time, so I soak them in a shallow container, in a single layer with just enough water to soften and break them down.
 If Chappie needed them to be dry,  I would probably shift the softened cubes to a different container to spread out for faster drying.  With this method, I think the softened hay would dry out nicely.   It might take about the same amount of time as breaking them down by hand, but maybe worth a try to see if that routine would work for Foster.
Laura K. Chappie & Beau
2011 N IL

On May 23, 2022, at 3:43 PM, cris240z via groups.io <cris240z@...> wrote:

[...]

Janet

I put my cubes in a Ninja blender and pulverize them into shreds.  I then weigh and store in zip lock bags.
--
Janet M. OH 2021

Trisha DePietro

I have one horse that prefers them to be sitting submerged in water- she's also a hay dunker. My other pony prefers them to be moist, but not dripping wet. Once they breakdown into a finer shred she won't eat them- She prefers the full cube experience! They couldn't be more different- except they both have IR and PPID!
--
Trisha DePietro
Aug 2018

Trisha DePietro

I'm not sure if we have asked Ontario Dehydrated if a pelleted version is in the future- but I do think I recall that pelleted feeds are higher in iron because of the nature of the processing of pellets...the machinery and any products used to create the uniform pellet. Aurelio who is the owner of Ontario Dehy does chime  in sometimes here, so perhaps we will hear from him directly :)
--
Trisha DePietro
Aug 2018
NH
Dolly and Hope's Case Histories
Dolly's Photos
Hope's Photos
Primary Responder

maed@...

Hello, I was thinking close to the same thing - only if they were like in chopped hay form.
--
Mary E in Wi 2021
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Mary%20and%20Eli/

cris240z@...

That is unfortunate about the iron issue for making pellets. Especially since iron is such a problem for these special horses.

It would be great to hear from the owner of Ontario Dehy. The recipe for the Timothy Balance cubes is such a wonderful product. Like I said I am so very grateful that they make this product, and that I am able to get it here in California.
Right now at least 10% of each bag is extra large cubes that are impossible to break up by hand. I end up giving those to my younger, full size horse as a treat. She has great teeth.

If I still had my horses at home it would be easier and I would have more options. But we must board the horses here on the coast and special feeding, full service stuff isn't really an option at the ranch where we board our horses. Plus like I said earlier, the pony won't eat them wet. I will hand break them as long as I can. I hope to have him around many more years, he is a real sweetheart.
--
Cris Bliss  California 2018

I suspect that they need to add some kind of starchy or sugary material to all pellets that acts as glue to hold the ground materials together.  I believe that is why there are no good pelleted options and that the lowest starch pellets I have tried turn into powder if the bags are roughly handled.  My husband knew someone who owned a pellet mill in Alturas CA who said something to this effect.

--
Gail Russell 8/30/2008

 https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Gail%20and%20Brother%20-%20Odin%20-%20Decaffe%20%20-Gunthar .

The last time this topic came up, someone said they drove over the bags with their car a few times.  I haven’t had the nerve or need to do that but, if I did, I’d probably put the bag inside another bag, just in case it broke.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

Suzy Berkowitz

I spend about 2 hours a day breaking up the cubes for my little guys. I set aside the ones I can’t break by hand and use pruning shears to cut them. Just make sure to get a pair that open wide enough to grip the cube. This doesn’t save time but at least I’m not wasting those rock hard ones.
--
Suzy in Fl 2020
Scout Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Suzy%20Scout

Ronda

My boy prefers them dry too. So i put them in a big rubber tub and smash them with a hammer. Or my husband smashes them with a press he made.
--
Ronda W in Indiana 2020

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Ronda%20and%20Brute

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Ronda%20and%20Jagger

Cindy Giovanetti

I sift mine.  I need to do a post about this on Life with Oden so you can see pictures.  But it’s not hard.  I use a large Rubbermaid tub inset with a big cage with one-inch holes.  The ones that sift through I feed dry.  The ones too big to sift through I soak.

Cindy

--
Cindy, Oden, and Eeyore, North Texas
On ECIR protocol since 2/19

Marianne @ Austin

Yep put them in a plastic 2nd bag and go back and forth under a truck tire on a hard surface if possible. Tried a tractor but the truck worked better. It really is funny from an outsiders perspective! I also had an old corn grinder but what a mess-
--
Marianne 2009 Texas

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Marianne%20and%20Shadow

Cindy Giovanetti

Edited

I made a video of how I sift out the larger cubes, here:  https://bit.ly/38Rwryj

--
Cindy, Oden, and Eeyore, North Texas
On ECIR protocol since 2/19
https://www.facebook.com/LifeWithOden/
History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Cindy%20and%20Oden

Aurelio Henriques

Cindy,
    Very useful video. Thank you.

Aurelio
Goderich Ontario Canada
Aurelio Henriques
Ontario Dehy Inc.
On 05/29/2022 9:26 PM, Cindy Giovanetti wrote:

I made a video of how I sift out the larger cubes, here:  https://bit.ly/38Rwryj
--
Cindy, Oden, and Eeyore, North Texas
On ECIR protocol since 2/19
https://www.facebook.com/LifeWithOden/
History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Cindy%20and%20Oden

threehorsefarm

As discussed before why not sell separate product that is basically shreds instead of the super compressed cubes?  Seems like it would be a huge seller and people wouldn’t have to run over them, etc.   My last 24 bags are about 1/3 to one half comprised of these hard, shiny cubes.

Robyn
Kansas 2012

On Mon, May 30, 2022 at 10:22 AM Aurelio Henriques <ahenriques@...> wrote:
Cindy,
    Very useful video. Thank you.

Aurelio
Goderich Ontario Canada
Aurelio Henriques
Ontario Dehy Inc.
On 05/29/2022 9:26 PM, Cindy Giovanetti wrote:
I made a video of how I sift out the larger cubes, here:  https://bit.ly/38Rwryj
--
Cindy, Oden, and Eeyore, North Texas
On ECIR protocol since 2/19
https://www.facebook.com/LifeWithOden/
History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Cindy%20and%20Oden

ferne fedeli

Robyn, that is VERY unusual to have a lot of the "tootsie rolls", as I call them.  I always notify Aurelio when that happens, because he can then recalibrate his equipment to stop that from happening...  I maybe get 1 or two in a bag these days at most.

--

Ferne Fedeli  Magic & Jack   2007

Point Arena, Mendocino County, California
Case History

Aurelio Henriques

Robyn,
    A good idea and not altogether impossible to do. We have given good consideration to this in the past. It would require some additional processing equipment (not cheap, but possible) and the good will of the distributors and dealers to carry another version of the same product. A much tougher challenge.

Aurelio

Aurelio Henriques
Ontario Dehy Inc.
On 05/30/2022 12:19 PM, threehorsefarm wrote:

[...]

Not that I actually know anything about the mechanics of this, but would it also require a different method for adding the minerals?

Aurelio Henriques

In a way, yes. Possible to do but the system would be novel for pellet mills.

Aurelio
Aurelio Henriques