Topics

Tips n Tricks for feeding Hay cubes as only feed

hdavis

Hello,

My mare Rio has been getting a hay that tested slightly higher in S & S than last year’s hay (8% vs 6%) along with higher protein (10% vs 8%) and now I am concerned as her crest is increasing in size. I don’t have access to any other hay at this time and soaking is not going to happen due to cold weather in Manitoba, Canada.

So I was thinking I could perhaps either feed her just Ont Dehy balance cubes or split her feed - half cubes and half hay and see if that helps?  But if I switch over to using the cubes as a feed source and not just a mineral/supp carrier how do I feed it?  Do I still soak them?  Worry about this as will freeze?  Or do I crush them into smaller pieces and feed dry?  Any ideas?  Also we are away from home for the day and are gone for 8-10 hours so she needs to have enough hay and feed not to run out too soon before we get home.

I tried searching this to see if I could find info but guess didn’t have the right word combinations as couldn’t find much.

Thanks!
--
Heather
August 5, 2017, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

Riosa Case History

 Photos

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=8819&p=pcreated,,,20,2,0,0  .

Storm

Case History

photos

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Do you recall if her crest has changed in response to cold? That could be a factor too.

 You can feed the whole diet as the cubes. No need to soak or break them up if she can chew normally.

  You could  try double or triple bagging some hay in nets with the smallest holes you can find and using that while you are away, or test some straw for safety and mix that in with the hay to dilute it.

www.drkellon.com  2 for 1 course sale
EC Owner 2001

I put a Nose-it ball with cubes into each of my horses’ stalls.  Aside from the racket the horses make with them, they’re great.  You could do some experimenting with them to see how long she stays occupied.  I only put a cup or so in mine as hay is their main diet but the balls will hold much more than that.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Logo's Case History:

hdavis

Hi Dr. Kellon,

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes it seems it has changed since it has gotten cooler.  She looked great in September then when the colder temps hit (below 0 C) it seems to grow daily!  She is an Andalusian with a thick neck as it is but her whole neck seems to have gotten wider, including her crest.  :(

I had her tested for PPID as well since she seems to get fall changes so I thought what the heck and got the free PPID test done. Talked to my vet today and she said she is the normal range.  So guess that is good but doesn’t help my crest issue lol.

Exercise is limited now to walking and that is difficult as hard bumpy ground in a lot of places.  So that makes things worse as well.

As for feeding hay cubes, if I break them up in smaller cubes I don’t need to worry about choke at all then?  How do people feed them then on the ground scattered around or in troughs?  Ideas?

I do have a nose it ball and will use that more as use it here and there too keep her occupied. She tends to roll it under the fence so then the other horses get it but still worth a shot.

--
Heather
August 5, 2017, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

Riosa Case History

 Photos

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=8819&p=pcreated,,,20,2,0,0  .

Storm

Case History

photos

Lorna

Hi Heather,

You can put one or more Nose-its into a large water tub/bin/box, to keep them under control. I guess,if it were me, I'd use 2 tubs, one for each ball. Down side is that this takes away from the walking around element. I might try to block off areas under the fence,if possible.
I *think*, if memory serves, I used to put at least 5 lbs of   Ontario Dehy Complete Cubes, into the Nose-its, for overnight use.
I've  fed numbers of horses the Complete Cubes over the years, and never broken them up....except for the runs of rock-hard cubes,which had to be broken up to fit into balls.
I looked for the ACTH results in your CH, but don't see anything recorded. Have you had recent insulin and glucose done,too?

--

Lorna Cane
Ontario, Canada

hdavis

Thanks for the ideas about the nose it ball in tubs.

As for ACTH, I have not entered it anywhere as just got the results today and not the actual report yet. No I didn't do the insulin or glucose as decided money should be spent on other things like hay, cubes and mineral at this time than running more blood work.  Sorry but had to prioritize:(
--
Heather
August 5, 2017, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

Riosa Case History

 Photos

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=8819&p=pcreated,,,20,2,0,0  .

Storm

Case History

photos

Lorna

Heather, no apologies are in order. Having had 6 IR /PPID boys at one time I know all about priorities. I just asked because I couldn't tell from the CH , and often the 3 are tested at same time.😊

--

Lorna Cane
Ontario, Canada

Cindy Giovanetti

There is an automatic feeder that will feed hay cubes. Google Equine Automation. It doesn’t help you with the freezing problem, but if she can chew them dry, it will let you trickle feed her.

--
Cindy, Oden, and Eeyore, North Texas
On ECIR protocol since 2/19

hdavis

Oh boy 6!  I give u creds as that is a lot to look after.  I go crazy with 2.

Thanks again for all the help!
--
Heather
August 5, 2017, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

Riosa Case History

 Photos

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=8819&p=pcreated,,,20,2,0,0  .

Storm

Case History

photos

Deborah Ide

Martha, I put Tara's Nose-it ball in a water tub and it keeps it from rolling under  the fence. You cold try that?
Deborah
Middle Tennessee
November 2012
Tara (IR) and Snip

--
Deborah
November 2012

Deborah, that’s a great idea!  I just keep mine in their stalls for overnight entertainment.  They make a fair amount of racket, rolling them up against a wall but, once I got used to that and realized no one was in trouble, it seems like a happy sound.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response
July 2012

Logo's Case History:

Hi Heather,

I feed the Timothy balance cubes to my horse as her main diet.  She also gets 6-8 lbs.hay a day. I never bothered getting minerals balanced to that small amount of hay until this past August.  Her whole attitude changed after  4 days of being on balanced minerals.  She is more energetic, has a better appetite, moves around more, etc.  That was the only change at the time, so I am attributing it to the minerals.
--
Helen, Josie and Kyra
May 2016

Kirsten Rasmussen

Heather,

I have a nose it ball too and it goes in a little blocked off pea gravel area I call a "playpen", so it can't go under the fence.  I never fill it but I'm sure Lorna is right and it holds at least 5 lbs, if not more.   I also have a parallex plastic ball that is a bit smaller, has a smaller opening so it is harder for hay cubes to come out (it lasts longer), it and holds about 3 lbs.  It fits better in a feed trough.  I think they are both great!  And so far, indestructible.  My horse loves them.

The only time I have seen choke was with a horse scarfing it's food in too fast (actually,  her owner was shoving a handful of hay cubes in to her mouth, and she choked, fortunately it resolved on its own within 20 min!).  The great thing with these balls is that only 1 cube comes out at a time and they can't get a full mouth, so as long as they can chew I think the risk of choke is low.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Lorna

"  I never fill it but I'm sure Lorna is right and it holds at least 5 lbs, if not more. "

Yes, I wanted to say 7 lbs., which I think is correct. But since I was sure of 5lbs I didn't want to exaggerate , in case my memory was playing tricks.

Lorna Cane
Ontario, Canada
2002

Kirsten Rasmussen

I would guess the Nose It ball holds 7 lbs too, but I'm not at home now so I can't weigh it full to see for sure.   :)  However, I also haven't been able to find the Nose It ball online lately, at least not for Canada shipping.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History