To soak or not to soak new hay

a.k.a.petpalace2@...

Bought 20 bales of grass hay last week and had farmer but rest on load on hold for me.  Cored all 20 bales for sample and Equi-analytical test results:  ESC 7.3% + starch 1.2% = 8.5%  Iron 134 ppm  Plan to also sample rest of load to make sure it's ok but at least I can start transitioning Apollo to new hay.  I was soaking previous hay since lab analysis only did minerals by wet chemistry and S/S by NIR which was < 10%.  Did well on that soaked hay but had to I rinse and drain before soaking due to heavy soil contamination.  Looking forward to simpler feeding routine.
--
Karen B.
Wisconsin

Sherry Morse

Hi Karen,

Can you please post the hay test results in either your photo album or case history folder and let us know when it's there.  On the face of it you may not need to soak the hay but you would want to keep an eye on Apollo and see if his comfort level changes as you transition to the new hay.

a.k.a.petpalace2@...

Hi Sherry,

Just posted new hay test results in my case history.  I'm soaking it right now as I'm introducing it with Apollo's old hay that has to be soaked.  I'll monitor for new pain symptoms. He's still quite sore on LF because of sole injury.

One other hay question.  The 20 bales we bought were part of ~145 bales on a kick bale wagon and cored all 20 for sample sent to Equi-analytical.  We bought all remaining hay on same wagon and wondering if should get another 20 bale sample and have tested.  My husband feels comfortable with one sample test; says he picked bales from more than one spot on wagon and this sample should be good enough. I'm thinking would be good idea to sample rest of load too. If you don't know what I mean by kick bale wagon, that where bales are just thrown in by baler and not stacked by someone which theoretically may make for more random distribution.

Thanks
--
Karen B.
Wisconsin
2022
Apollo Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Karen%20and%20Apollo
Photo album:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=275817

Kirsten Rasmussen

It's tough because there is always going to be some variability between bales but since the hay sample is an average,  you have no idea how high the variability is without testing individual bales.  I try to get hay from the same part of a field that was cut at the same time of day.   Hay cut in the afternoon is going to be higher in sugar than hay cut in the morning,  on a sunny day, so mixing those bales will result in a higher variability in sugar contents.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR + PPID) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Karen, I wouldn’t think more hay testing would be needed.  If we’re think of the same implement, the baler goes along baling and ‘kicking’ into the wagon so I can’t imagine that all those bales were not part of the same harvest in the same field.  Each bale might have slight differences but 20 should be a good sampling.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

a.k.a.petpalace2@...

Guy we bought from makes hay for his daughter's horses plus some to sell.  She shows hunter/jumpers and dressage.  All hay we purchased is from same field cut on same day.  He cuts hay early mornings when still wet from dew and bales over 1,000 bales a season but not much that's pure grass. Load we bought was also crimped to help it dry.  Said was pasture blend of grasses and just starting to head out when cut.  Hay looked very consistent except for few bales at back of wagon, some of which we didn't take because of that and also ran out of room in trailer.
--
Karen B.
Wisconsin
2022
Apollo Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Karen%20and%20Apollo
Photo album:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=275817

a.k.a.petpalace2@...

Martha,
Thanks.  I know not all of my questions can be easily answered but you always manage to come through.  All bales were from same field, baled on same day.  He said tries to cut hay in early morning when still wet from dew.
I was concerned it won't be low S/S because was first cutting grass just starting to head out.  Will need more to get me through until next year so will be buying hay from commercial grower too and it's already tested.

Until I can get blood work done, thought soaking might be good idea as extra precaution but if it's not necessary, that would be great although not as difficult to do in summer.  New hay's clean so no need to rinse soil off first, saving time and water.  Thought it was recommended to test soaked sample before mineral balancing if soaking consistently?  Also feeding some OD timothy cube mash too but will decrease as more hay becomes available.