Topics

topline loss; any thoughts

Daisy Shepherd

 my soon to be 13 ir horse,tiko, his weight is good, follows the ir diet but is losing some of his topline. more in the withers area where it drops down behind the shoulder  just where the saddle rest. back in the spring when my boarding place was closed , he got no work for 2 months, work restarted then moved to new boarding place,  then the summer heat hit, so work has not progressed back to a normal level which is 5 to 6 days per week about an hour each time, arena plus trail.  i  am  adjusting his magnesium   for the withers quiver back to 30 grams daily and hope that works as it did before.   any ideas to help with topline concerns, maybe more protein or amino acids as i am at a loss as to how to help?  some years ago i used gamma oryzanol for my horse but he was not ir  ; probably not a choice for tiko  as it is a rice bran oil.  thank you so much, daisy and tiko
Daisy, Tiko and Whisper
CO, April 2019
Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Daisy%20and%20Tiko
Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=90099&p=Name,,,20,2,0,0

Lorna Cane

Hi Daisy,

If you haven't already, carefully check out the saddle, and how he moves when tacked up.

--

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario

Daisy Shepherd

thank you, saddle was checked in june. daisy and tiko
Daisy, Tiko and Whisper
CO, April 2019
Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Daisy%20and%20Tiko
Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=90099&p=Name,,,20,2,0,0

Sherry Morse

Hi Daisy,

There's a chance that all the issues you are seeing are related to issues with Tiko's trim but since we don't have any updated pictures of him, or his feet, it's just a guess.  It would be really helpful for us to see current trim and body pictures.  It may help to think of it this way - you have a sore spot on a foot, it's not painful enough (you think) that you're walking out of balance or noticeably 'off' but it's enough that without realizing it you're tensing your hips, which makes your shoulders tight, which then results in a headache.  So you take some pills for the headache, which help, but still doesn't solve the actual problem of the pain in your foot.

This is an easy analogy for me right now because I've been having this issue myself for the last week and it's definitely causing problems further up in my body and it's effecting my riding as well as my other exercising so just something to consider with Tiko and what seem to be a bunch of unrelated issues.

Candice

Hi Daisy,

Just out of curiosity, did you follow up with another stool sample to see if Tiko was rid of the tapeworms? This may or may not have nothing to do with it, but I took a peak at your case history and that was the only thing that wasn't mentioned in this thread.
--

~ Candice

Primary Response Team

September 2018, Summerfield, FL

Shark's Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Candice%20and%20Shark

Shark's Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=71507

Daisy Shepherd

-- thank you candice. finally after 2 weeks got a fecal to vet and he is still tape positive so will treat again and hope this does the trick. daisy and tiko
--
Daisy, Tiko and Whisper
CO, April 2019
Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Daisy%20and%20Tiko
Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=90099&p=Name,,,20,2,0,0

Daisy Shepherd

thank you sherry. the withers issue has been long term; the only thing that ever made a change was 30 grams of magnesium daily  . i have a farrier visit 8/5  so will get photos and post.  thank you for reading my post. daisy and tiko
Daisy, Tiko and Whisper
CO, April 2019
Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Daisy%20and%20Tiko
Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=90099&p=Name,,,20,2,0,0

Mary M.

I can 2nd Sherry's suggestion to look at trim if this does not resolve with tapeworm treatment. My mare lost her topline and it was due to farrier taking off too much heel. I noticed my mare's cannon bones in back  were consistently not lined up with hind end and leaning forward slightly as if she were on a slight incline even on flat ground. I was so dismayed by her swaybacked look i did not take pics (regrettably). On a hunch i casted her feet to provide protection and a little wedge to heels and did not  have that farrier trim her. Her topline came back within a trim cycle as her heels grew back  and i backed up toe. Just like Sherry said if they are compensating there is tightness in hips and it translates to topline.
--
Mary Marzec, Chelsea MI, 2012
Mary/Katie Case History

Hi Daisy,
I would focus on the trim, as Sherry suggests.  There is something about the tapeworm findings that doesn’t ring true to me.  Also, I understand you are following an IR maintenance plan and note that you haven’t posted any blood testing results.  He’s young still but maybe consider testing for PPID?
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo