Triple Crown Safe Starch ?

Fiona Paton

Hi Group,

Tam Lin, formerly Not Yet Mine, arrived today, and I am quite in love with him. However, he obviously has never had beet pulp before and wouldn't touch it until I mixed in a few handfuls of Triple Crown Safe Starch. This is not listed on the approved feed list,  but I'm hoping I can use it to transition him onto beet pulp. What are your thoughts?  Previously he was getting crimped oats twice a day and based on what I've read this isn't good for him given the laminitis and suspected EMS. The Vermont blend balancer should be here tomorrow.

I'm getting a hay probe tomorrow from the local extension office so I can test the hay. The vet and the farrier are both coming next week. Trying not to mess this up!

Fiona
--
Fiona Paton
NY 2022

Lesley Bludworth

Fiona,
Do you have anything else avaliable like Triple crown timothy balance cubes?
I don't think feeding the beet pulp is as important as having low starch low sugar in every bite.
my horses find the tc cubes irresistible and they have beet pulp in them already, and you could slowly introduce more bp if needed but it is high in calories, so if he needs to lose weight...?
The stabul grain has flavors that make it hard to know what a horse will like but some are better than others.
My mare won't touch the pepermint.
Hygain zero is a safe feed too and not flavored.
But soaked hay is better than beet pulp if you want to lower insulin... I'm pretty sure

--
Lesley Bludworth
Phoenix, AZ   7/2022

Fiona Paton

Thanks Lesley! I will have to special order the TC timothy balance cubes as the feed stores around here don't carry it. He is a bit chunky, too, so need to be careful with calories. I didn't know about Hygain zero--thanks for that!
--
Fiona Paton
NY 2022
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Fiona%20and%20Not%20Yet%20Mine

Fiona,

Also check directly with Ontario Dehy, the manufacturer of those cubes, to see if they have a direct distributor nearby. They have been working on building that network. Write to ahenriques "at" ontariodehy.com.