Topics

Triple Crown Timothy cubes

Anette

Can the Timothy cubes be used as the horses ration? Or is it just to supplement another feed? This is the one thing recommended that I can get locally but to feed it as a sole ration would be 14 lbs. a day. At $22. and change a bag I can't do  it. Ant advice is welcome.
--
Anette P and Jaywalker
Boomer, NC

Timothy balance cubes are a safe, complete feed, but there is no need to use them as the sole feed unless your horse has virtually no teeth left. Sorry, but I didn't see anything in your case history to indicate that Jaywalker can't eat hay - if he can eat hay, then that should be the mainstay of his ration.  The Timothy Balance cubes are wonderful for getting supplements in (just moisten them) or for using as treats.  I see from some previous posts that he is on pergolide; and I assume you have stopped the oats and the Crypto Aero.

If the horse can't eat anything but mush, then using wet Timothy Balance cubes, plus rinsed/soaked/rinsed beet pulp, plus soy hull pellets, with the minerals balanced to that, is the way to go.
--
Jaini Clougher (BSc, BVSc)
Merlin (over the bridge), Maggie, Gypsy, Ranger

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jaini%20and%20Merlin-Maggie-Gypsy .
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=34193.

Anette

Thank you Jaini, yes he can still eat. I am weaning him off the oats and Crypto , that's why I'm asking about the cubes. He is still under weight. He gets hay when he is turned out and a full rack in his stall at night .
--
Anette P and Jaywalker
Boomer, NC
Sep.9 2018
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Anette%20and%20Jaywalker

Anette,
Another type of "feed" that you can use in place of a grain mix is Soyhull pellets. This is a very safe feed. The pellets can be used as a carrier of minerals, medications and supplements. In my experience the pellets are "tastier" than the timothy cubes and MUCH cheaper. You do have to search around for them. This a bulk feed, bought by large feed mills to use in feed mixes that they make at their mills and they possibly sell them in bulk to farmers. I found a farmer's co-op in Virginia that would bag the soyhull pellets in 50 lb bags. Now in Michigan I get 50 lb bags from another large feed mill for $6.24 per 50 lbs. I asked around at local feed stores for info about larger mills that actually make feed mixes. This type of mill is more likely to be found in agricultural areas with lot's of farms and/or stables.

ECIR Primary Response

White Cloud, Michigan, USA

Mouse Case History, Photo Album

Paula Hancock

On Fri, Dec 7, 2018 at 06:52 AM, Anette wrote:
I am weaning him off the oats and Crypto
Hi Annette,
You don't need to wean him off the oats and Crypto, you can just stop, especially if you don't know his current insulin status.

--
Paula with Cory (IR & PPID?and Onyx (IR/PPID)

  and Remy (?)

Bucks County, PA, USA

ECIR Primary Response

NRCplus 2011  ECIR 2014

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Paula%20and%20Cory

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Paula%20and%20Onyx

bokayarabians@...

I just found the timothy balance cubes on Vancouver Island in British Columbia at Buckerfields feed store.
--
Kathie with Libby and Sweet P
Cobble Hill, BC, Canada

Anette

He has only been tested once and that was in August ( think). So no ,I don't know his current levels. I plan on having him tested in March to check ACTH levels.