Topics

Uckele Glucocemic Eq and Uckele Ubalance Foundation question

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer

Hi Dr Kellon,

My mare Summer has decided she won't eat either the pelleted or powder version of Glycocemic eq. I have her on 1 scoop of Ubalance foundation at night and was thinking I could just make up the metabolic support items individually. If i added jherb, alcar and chromium gtf to the ubalance foundation would that be a comparable mix for metabolic support?

What amts would you add of the three (jherb, alcar and chromium).

Thx Nan
--
Nancy and Vinnie and Summer
Oakley, Ca

Summer

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer

I can't comment on the Uckele product because I haven't used it. I can say that my horses really like J-herb. I have never had a refusal, even from Diamond who is intermittently very picky.

It's only a guess, but Alcar may be the culprit component. Diamond wouldn't touch Alcar, which has a distinct odor she detected easily.  I'm focused on getting her to eat her daily minerals as a top priority, a continual issue since she arrived in November 2017.  I pick my battles.

--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer

Thanks Cass, she will eat the muscle eq that has alcar and alcar (surprise) by itself and jherb.. so i am trying to complete what us missing from the metabolic support in glycocemic eq with just feeding the ubalance foundation minerals.
--
Nancy and Vinnie and Summer
Oakley, Ca

Summer

Nancy, it may take Dr Kellon a while to catch up from an internet outage. She can advise which of the ingredients in Glycemic EQ you can or should make up.

Did you consult Dr Kellon or one of the trained diet balancers? I sympathize that you're chasing a moving target with Summer eating some supplements and not others. It would be great if you consulted on the overall diet for both horses to review all supplements and to balance key nutrients. Your horses will benefit. The list: https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/6%20Diet%20Balancing/HAY%20BALANCING.pdf

One small example: Ubalance Foundation at one scoop supplies 1 ½ mg selenium and Glycemic EQ at 1 scoop adds another 1 ½  mg of selenium for a total of 3 mg. Over time, 3 mg of selenium could lead to higher whole blood selenium than optimal for a horse that isn't in work. A diet balancer will advise you.

--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator
Cayuse and Diamond Case History Folder

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

You won't need to add the chromium back in. Just use the same dosages of the J and ALCAR.

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer