Uckele Grey Horse Defense for general immune boost and skin

Stepht

As I was trying to determine which Phyto Quench to use, I came across the Grey Horse Defense supplement on Uckele's website.  It isn't listed in the ECIR recommended products, but I don't see anything that stands out as problematic for PPID horses in the ingredient list, but I am unsure of the adaptogens.  With the chaste berry extract, amino acids and probiotics it seems like a way to reduce the number of supplements given. Katie is chestnut, but tends to have dry skin, cannon keratosis and has a keloid scar on her pastern.  Would this product be safe and helpful for her to use?
--
Stephanie Thomson August 2, 2016

Liberty, Missouri

Katie Case History

Katie Photo Album  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=6072

Katie Lab Values Folder  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Stephanie%20and%20Katie

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Hemp and Vitex make it inappropriate for PPID horses.  Have you had your diet mineral balanced?

Stepht

Thank you for the info, Dr. Kellon.  I did not know hemp was not good for PPID horses (I am surprised I missed that!)  I am not sure what the Vitex is; is that the Cantavita Green Tea Extract combo?

Her diet should be balanced since her ration is only Ontario dehydrated forage cubes and a little TC Sr..  She generally gets flax oil and CTB liquid, salt, vitamin E, and Absorb All as well.  Does that sound OK?
--
Stephanie Thomson August 2, 2016

Liberty, Missouri

Katie Case History

Katie Photo Album  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=6072

Katie Lab Values Folder  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Stephanie%20and%20Katie

Sherry Morse

Vitex is Chasteberry and as Dr. Kellon indicated can interact with pergolide which is why we don't recommend that they be used together (although of course some people do and don't have issues).

Stepht

Thank you for that clarification.  Katie does get Chasteberry to help with shedding in the spring and it seems to help a little with her topline.  I guess we are one of the lucky ones!

--
Stephanie Thomson August 2, 2016

Liberty, Missouri

Katie Case History

Katie Photo Album  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=6072

Katie Lab Values Folder  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Stephanie%20and%20Katie

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Stephanie,

I don't think it's that you're lucky - more likely you are using it at the quietest time of the year for PPID. Do you have any ACTH values immediately before and a few weeks after starting CTB? I'm not saying you shouldn't ever use it; just be aware that it probably is having a negative effect on the output from the pituitary by blocking pergolide but if you start from a point of very good control you may not see any effects from short term use.