Topics

Update / doing better

Bobbie Day

Hello All
Just wanted to post a update on Desi, so it appears now that this whole lameness issue was caused by a boot rub. She put too much weight on that right side (just as dr. K thought) causing that right knee to bear all her weight and apparently it’s already bone to bone.
Anyway this may help those of you that can’t get their horse to eat Phyto-quench, BTW I am a huge fan of this supplement, it is rather costly but it’s helped Desi more than anything.
When we finally got more (Uckele ran out)  she absolutely refused it. I was desperate to get it in her one way or another so I started adding water and syringing it in, along with extra DC. After about a week was (still a paste)  I started syringing less and less and started adding the paste to her supplements in her BP and Stabul One base.

 thank goodness she is now taking it all as long as it’s in the paste form. She also gets some move-ease. She is doing so much better! She also gets some CBD pellets in about a cup of stabul one before I go to bed. She’s moving around better than she has in a long time.
i have never had a boot rub so this took me completely by surprise. Hers are taken off and changed almost every day.
so be sure to check your boots when you have a lame horse.
thank you to everyone who messaged me, and a huge THANK YOU to Nancy for being so generous in sharing her PQ.  I’m holding my breath and hoping she will continue to be ok. I am just grateful that we didn’t have to make an awful decision, she’ll never be ok and we know that but she’s happy 😊 I wish we had done the soft sand a long time ago. New members don’t give up, there’s ALWAYS a reason for your horses pain sometimes it just takes an army to figure it out.
its never easy but so rewarding when that time comes, hang in there.
Now to cross all my fingers and toes 😊
--
Bobbie and Desi
NRC March 2020

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer

nexthillfarm@...

Bobbie, this is awesome news! Do you have any additional tips for preventing or treating boot rubs?

--
Cindy D
Colorado, USA

Bobbie Day

Cindy
Desi had never had a rub before, we always have her in socks regardless of the time of year. I love scoots and have used them faithfully but Desi has a high heel on her right side and the sock didn’t stay in place and rubbed her. I initially thought it was a abscess because she had never had this happen. I will keep her in her Equine Fusions because they work better for her. I think it’s just trial and error quite honestly.
But she’ll always be in socks, vet wrap doesn’t stay.

--
Bobbie and Desi
NRC March 2020

By far the best thing I've read all day - so, so happy to hear this Bobbie!

For the rub issue - I don't know if it will help but when I boot for endurance or even trail rides I spray Showsheen on my gelding's pasterns as it seems to help with keeping any kind of crud from starting post-ride.  I know booting all day every day is a bit different, but it may help prevent another rub from occurring.

Lynn

Bobbie! Soooo happy for you and your girl! That is wonderful news! Such a good reminder to persevere, employ the process of elimination and systematically try different solutions.  I don't know if this helps anyone but since I've had to use Soft-Ride boots with orthotic inserts the last few months on Relevante's back feet for his broken back HPAs....they told me if i saw a rub starting to put a piece of duct tape over the area.
--
Lynn
Beavercreek, Ohio

Cindy Giovanetti

What's DQ?
--
Cindy, Oden, and Eeyore, North Texas
On ECIR protocol since 2/19

Hi Cindy,

Assuming that you're referring to Bobbie's first message:

DC - Devil's Claw
PQ - Phytoquench

Around here DQ is what used to be known as Dairy Queen :-)

Bobbie Day

Yes Cindy
Sorry, maybe I had DQ on my mind!

Thanks Sherry

--
Bobbie and Desi
NRC March 2020

nexthillfarm@...

Oh, good idea! Will try the Showsheen! Socks work, but do trap moisture in the boot, even with GB powder. This is such a learning process!

--
Cindy D
Colorado, USA
Joined 2019