Topics

Use of Palmitoylethanolamide(PEA) for pain management

Jeanne Q

Dr. Kellon or anyone......have you used or know of use of Palmitoylethanolamide(PEA) for pain management in PPID/IR horses?  Glory is going on month 6 of horrible pain and I am looking for some sort of relief for her.  She most likely will be shedding her RF hoof capsule.  Coronary band is prolapsed over hoof and abscess still draining infection with proud flesh.

I found a dosage of 2-3 grams/day on this website https://painlessblog.com/chronic-disease/treatment-osteoartrosis-horses-palmitoylethanolamide/

Is it ok for PPID/IR horses to take this?  And would this dosage be correct?

Wiki link   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palmitoylethanolamide

--
Jeanne Q MN 2020
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jeanne%20&%20Glory

Jeanne,

There is no information available to answer your question from the viewpoint of either effectiveness or safety. Judging by commonly used human dosages, 2 to 3 grams would be very low - probably would need at least twice that amount.

LJ Friedman

I looked at your case history. Why is your salt on the low side? Also vitamin E on the low side? What are you doing for the high insulin? What time of day did you test the insulin? It is known that info on  yes insulin rates can show much higher than they are  if not properly tested i.e. wait  for hours after the first meal of the morning. To show a accurate reading

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

LJ Friedman

Is your horses pain related to laminitis? And what are you doing to lower insulin?

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Jeanne,

Did you try the PEA? There is an equine report in horses with arthritis https://www.mdpi.com/2076-2615/10/9/1469/htm .

Frances C.

Thanks Dr. K. for the very interesting report on PEA
--
- Frances C.
December 2017, Washington & California

LJ Friedman

has anyone tried this??  PEA??--

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

LJ Friedman

website for pea um isnt opening  can you resend it?

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

Jeanne Q

No I have not tried the PEA yet.  I did purchase some but without more information I was hesitant.  Thank you for the report Dr. Kellon.  I may give it a try now.  I gave gabapentin a try but Glory went off her feed while on it so I quit.  It did not seem to have much effect on her pain anyway.
--
Jeanne Q MN 2020
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jeanne%20&%20Glory

LJ Friedman

Can you send a link of what you purchased the cost etc.

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

LJ, check your browser … the link opens right up for me ...

--
Ellen
Pal & Savvy

Jeanne Q

LJ Friedman

The cosi of 3 gm can be as low as $1.00 a day

any issues when combining this with either prevacox or jiagoulan??

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

I've never heard a good report with gabapentin!  On the PEA, the ultra micronized should have best absorption but this is a fat soluble substance so mixing it into a little oil before feeding should give better results.

There are no reported interactions - yet at least. It is a naturally occurring substance, also found in the body.

LJ Friedman

I was thinking of adding the 2 1/2 to 3 g in with my evening supplements  vit e vitamin A custom supplements flax salt, forco etc. etc. Does that make sense??

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

That makes sense but what are you trying to accomplish?

LJ Friedman

always trying to replace  prevacox with something else  and or add more comfort for my elderly horses similar to adding pentosan or movease, etc

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

I understand, and am not discouraging a PEA trial or anything else, but there should always be a solid specific reason other than age. If the horse is lame, the first step is a work up to determine why. That will dictate the appropriate treatment.

LJ Friedman

Thanks for the reply. Both of my horses are in top shape. I just thought it would be something to use for compensating for old age. Is it too strong of an item for that purpose?